• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another wee issue - do I need litter

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
When Zion comes into the kitchen for a run around he is a good boy and uses one corner by the fridge freezer which initially had a cardboard box with paper in it but I replaced it with a very large litter tray yesterday which he has used this morning. He always uses that space to wee (with a few exceptions) which I am happy about. The only problem is, when he does a wee he just kinda sits there in it for a while and then hops out and his feet and tail are covered in urine. Then he hops around for a while and then jumps up on his box and cleans himself. He won't let me go near his backside with tissue or anything and we're still having issues with the handling.

First of all is this normal for him to just sit there? Also should I put some hay in there (I didn't bother just because he isn't in the kitchen that often but I suppose often enough) or should I get an absorbant type of litter and put it in there so it soaks it all up in the first instance?

One other question, although he wees in one place he seems to poo everywhere. I keep picking his poo up and putting it in the litter tray but that makes no difference. Any tips on how to limit this?

Thanks

Shiv

Hello. I use wood based cat litter for my buns then put hay on the top. It's very absorbant. My two always seem to leave the odd poo out of the tray.

Hiya Shiv,

First off, GOOD BOY Zion for weeing in his litter tray - that's a great start :D :D :D

Mango and Chutney have newspaper in the bottom of their litter tray, and a thick layer of hay on top of it, and it does seem to keep their feet and tail nice and dry.

Yes, I think it's normal for them to sit in their tray as you describe - M and C sit in theirs for AGES, pondering life, the universe and generally nibbling hay. You might find that putting hay in there encourages Zion to do his poos in there aswell, as rabbits do like to sit and munch while doing their business :D Mango and Chutney wouldn't DREAM of doing it anywhere else :oops:

One other thought - Zion might be deliberately marking out that your kitchen his territory (more likely if he's not neutered I think).

Good luck anyway, and another GOOD LAD to Zion :D

Wendy
xx

I use carefresh which is really absorbant and never smells so it lasts ages. I then cover it with a layer of hay for them to eat while they do their business. :roll: :lol:

I use wood based cat litter. I go through loads of it but it seems to be the only litter that doesn't end up everywhere!

I might try Wendy - Jane's suggestion of just newspaper and Hay and leave my middle layer of cat litter out as that sounds much more cost effective!! :wink:

It's great for us, but newspaper doesn't get rid of the smell like I imagine carefresh would. To do that I clean the litter tray both morning and evening, rinsing it with water and putting new paper and hay in. That means I go through quite a lot of hay, but because I've got horses, hay is easy to come by, and it works out cheaper than carefresh would. So I guess it all depends on your situation :)

Yes - but I do use quite a think layer of hay.
And they are very fussy does, so they probably try hard not to stand in it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you guys. I have been using Carefresh and a layer of hay and it has done the trick. And you're right he is pooing in his tray more which is fantastic :D Thank you so much. I am thinking of replacing the carefresh with megazorb as it sounds like better value for money but I like how soft the carefresh is and wondering if the megazorb is the same. Have posted on another post about that.

Thanks again

Shiv

Back