• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss - am at a loss to why???

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Bracken has been a bit on the light side for a while, he lost a lot of weight when Beebie died in May. He did pick up a bit when florence arrived but he has suddenly lost a lot of weight, far to much for my liking.

When I picked him up today he was just so boney and no fat on him at all. I`ve book him in to the vets on Monday, but am worried about what is causing this.

He isn`t off his food has SS ad lib good quality hay, veggies morning and night a weetabix the new oat one at night as well. Have thought it may be the hot weather as he has found it very difficult these past weeks.

He and Florence have a muller yogurt pot full of SS in the morning which is normally gone by the night, am I feeding enought for the 2 florence is a standard rex who does need to lose a bit of weight.

Hope he puts weight on and that nothing is wrong.
I had a bun who lost a lot of weight took him to the vets, he had blood tests etc but they showed nothing up at all so they advised i fed him on the dwarf/baby rabbit food to build him up.

hope someone can provide some assistance soon.

caz

I would feed him on his own so you can see what hes eating it may be hes not getting enough.There are a few things that could be causing it. A routine worming will not go a miss just in case. See what the vet thinks. good luck. val

I've been having similar issues with Charlie bun, we just couldn't keep any weight on him, the vet tested him for everything we could think off and found nothing. We've decided its probably just his age. How old is Bracken? Charlie is 7 and apparently when they older it can be more difficult for them to keep on weight (as with humans).

We've therefore upped the calories in his diet (sounds like his normal diet is similar to Brackens - SS, LOTS of hay, veg) so we upped his calories intake - heaped teaspoon of rolled oats and a couple of hazelnuts every day, he gradually put on weigh, and now we give him a level teaspoon of oats and 1 hazelnut a day and his weight has levelled out.

Also, is he moulting? My other bun Lavender has lost lots of weight recently cos she's moulting so much - so its kittymalt and oats for her too.

One other thing, you said that Florence could do with losing a bit of weight - is it possible that she's scoffing all the food really fast and Bracken isn't getting his share - our vet asked us this, so we fed the two of them separately for a while to see if it made any difference.

I hope Bracken checks ok at the vets.

Do you feed the oats dry? thanks for the ideas, yes Bracken is moulting at the moment and I will seperate in the mornings when they ar fed.

I just hope that he will put on weight and nothing to scary is found at the vets on monday.

I've been having similar issues with Charlie bun, we just couldn't keep any weight on him, the vet tested him for everything we could think off and found nothing. We've decided its probably just his age. How old is Bracken? Charlie is 7 and apparently when they older it can be more difficult for them to keep on weight (as with humans).
Exactely the same here. My Pippa (7 years old) has been losing weight over the last 18 months or so. She had all the tests under the sun, was also wormed, but nothing could be found. We too put it down to age as she is eating normally and is lively and happy. I now also add some oats to their breakfast and dinner to hopefully up her weight a little.

Vera

bunnies said:
Do you feed the oats dry? thanks for the ideas, yes Bracken is moulting at the moment and I will seperate in the mornings when they ar fed.

Yes, I just use plain old rolled oats from sainsburys and give them to the buns as they are. They look so unappetising but both buns really like them!

I also agree with what Val said about worming, we recently wormed Charlie and I'd not really thought about it until ready Vals post but he has been putting on weight again since then - perhaps it helped. :)

Hi Mandy, when Beebie was on Panacur, did they put Bracken on it too and, as he has had incontinence and weight loss, could he need rechecking?

Thanks Lorraine, yes they were both on it, the wetness has stopped now did a urine test and that was ok.

Were of to the vets 10am tomorrow, am a bit worried about him and how thin he is. He eats loads and is his usual self but to thin.

Lets hope theirs nothing under lying with the weight loss, and we can get him back on track asap.

How`s Maisie now????

Back