• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Belgian Hare

Carole

Warren Scout
Anyone know much about them.

A colleague at work has just got a young one, not sure of the age, and I wondered if anyone on here has one, and is there anything special she needs to know about them.

I dont think she realised that the Belgian Hare is a breed of rabbit.

I have been a member here for a while now, and the members always come up with lots of useful information, which hopefully anyone who owns one of these will be able to pass information to me for me to pass on.

I have printed her off a list of foods, and told all the usual information about feeding lots of hay, clean fresh water etc., but just wondered if they need any other special care.

Many thanks

Carole

Hello :wave: They do have quite delicate bones so need VERY careful handling, and also they can get sore hocks like rexes do, because of their very long slender legs. I have vague recollections (might be wrong) that they can also be more prone to things like arthritis because of their bones. If I had a Belgian Hare I would definitely get it insured :wink:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I will tell her what you said about the insurance, I have both mine insured, and as she just has the one it is worth having it especially if they are prone to certain ailments.

Thanks again - Carole

Hi yes i breed hares to show, there a lovely breed to have so friendly. They are prone to arthrits at a younger age than youd think sometimes as early as 3-4 yrs old. A very deep bedding is required as someone said as there very low on hair cover on there feet. Because of there bone structure there more prone to breaks. But i wouldnt treat them any differently. They need a higher cage then most because there very tall.They like a lot of exercise. The trouble is if you give them a lot your running the risk of them hurting a leg if they binki around to much :lol:.There not fighters if they get ill,they will give up unlike some others that will fight for life. Do not let them get overweight either because this put increased pressure on there joints. Its true there not the type of rabbit that likes to be picked up because they carnt get comfortable. There a head stoke rabbit theyl sit for ages for that :lol: I know of a few people that have them as house rabbits and there good for indoors. The only thing would be dont if you have lamanate flooring . val

taylor v 109 said:
Hi yes i breed hares to show, there a lovely breed to have so friendly. They are prone to arthrits at a younger age than youd think sometimes as early as 3-4 yrs old. A very deep bedding is required as someone said as there very low on hair cover on there feet. Because of there bone structure there more prone to breaks. But i wouldnt treat them any differently. They need a higher cage then most because there very tall.They like a lot of exercise. The trouble is if you give them a lot your running the risk of them hurting a leg if they binki around to much :lol:.There not fighters if they get ill,they will give up unlike some others that will fight for life. Do not let them get overweight either because this put increased pressure on there joints. Its true there not the type of rabbit that likes to be picked up because they carnt get comfortable. There a head stoke rabbit theyl sit for ages for that :lol: I know of a few people that have them as house rabbits and there good for indoors. The only thing would be dont if you have lamanate flooring . val

Belgian Hare piccie request!!....PLEASE :wink:

Janex

I love belgian hares! They're so elegant looking! I go to a breeder forum and a breeder on there had to have a mini lop raise one of her hares! Such a cute family photo!

Hi everyone I have got a Belgian Hare cross breed and I didn't know any of this so thanks for the info.

Lynda

p.s he is the grey and white one in the small pic on the left!

Hi Val,

Thank you so much for the information, I will pass all of this onto my friend. They sound absolutely lovely.

Thanks again, will let you all know how she/he is getting on. It is only young and she said it is quite friendly. (They are not sure of the sex, I have printed off some information from here so hopefully when I see her this week she will know!!).

If I could have got to her first before she went to this breeder I would have advised her to get a rescue bunny, as she doesnt really know anything about it sex/age etc., makes me mad when people breed them and dont pass on decent information.

Sorry rant over.

Thanks again

Carole

Picture222.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture313.jpg

Picture319.jpg

Picture438.jpg

CAN YOU SPOT MUM IN THE LAST ONE :lol: THEY HAVE BIG LITTERS. VAL

Back