• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Darned PWS run!

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I had ANOTHER escape today. Gismo was in one minute the next he was in the hedge happily eating everything :shock: The run was pinned down with tent pegs and had a sheet pegged over the top (but really can't see how tiny little Gismo could have jumped over!). So i put him back in and kept watch. Took my eyes off him for literally a couple of seconds looked back and he was sitting on the outside - it was like a magic trtick! I tried to temp him with greens to see if he could squeeze through the bars but really doesn't look like his head would fit through. Am baffled and now VERY concerned about using that run. Lucky has also escaped from it. Arghhhh, need to buy a regular wood one and have no money :x

How much does Gismo weigh? He's quite fluffy isn't he so he might be able to squeeze more than you think?? I know Santa is very wee, but she can escape through the end bars, as the end one is slightly wider than the others.

Are you using cable ties etc, right at the bottom, he can't push his way between two panels in the corner can he?

Have you seen that kitkat advert where the bloke is trying to take a photo of the pandas, and as soon as he sits down for a kitkat, they come out on roller skates :lol: I reckon he's doing the same to you :lol:

:lol: The panels are tightly secured together. I didn't realise some of the bars had a larger gap, going to look now - - - - all looks the same size to me :? I weighed Gismo and he's 1070g.

Ooooh I bet he could then! Santa is around 940g and she can squeeze through! I have mine covered in a finer mesh now to stop her from doing so :no:

On my ones, with the long edge along the ground, the end bars up the sides, are verrry slightly wider apart than the others. Mine are a few years old though so maybe they are all identical now :lol:

Yep...I opened the curtains one morning to be met by a butter-wouldn't-melt face staring at me from the middle of the lawn :shock: Thank goodness there wasn't a fox about that night!

I think I remember seeing someone who'd made a basic wooden frame and fitted them in it.

Yes I can't remember who it was, but they gave me the inspiration to do this to mine:

2ac9d9d4.jpg

oooh no it's several packs of panels :lol: :lol: I kept on ordering more and they eventually got nosey enough to ask what I was doing with them :lol: It's 4 panels long and 3 wide, and there's a divider as well, as it's actually 2 runs. So that makes 2 sides and a divider @ 4 panels each, one end wall @ 3 panels, the top is 5 panels by 3, which makes...ummm...*counts on fingers* lots of panels :lol: :lol:

30 panels :? Something like that anyway. I'm really pleased with it though as it's lovely and sturdy and I'm happy to leave them out all the time.

The mesh that covers it serves several purposes though - stops tiny bunnies from escaping :no: Stops foxes/cats poking their paws through :no: and also stops the pair of bunnies who are exercising in the garden from being able to bite the other pair who are in their run :no:

30 panels! That must have cost a small fortune! But it does look wonderful.

I have 8 panels, for my two buns :oops: but one of them can lift it up if he really wants to! I need to get some pegs to keep it down. And the other rabbit needs constant eye-on-bun supervision as she digs whenever possible ... OH NOT pleased as he likes the lawn to be perfect! Hence I spend every evening crawling round picking up rabbit droppings from the grass once they are back in the hutch! :lol:

kaskaskia said:
30 panels! That must have cost a small fortune! But it does look wonderful.

Thank you, I'm very pleased with it :D

Well 8 panels are about £45 so the panels cost just a snip under £200, the wood was probably about £30, so with screws/hinges/clasps/woodcare etc, so I probably made the whole thing for around £250 which I don't think is bad considering how much a tiny one costs in the shops :wink:

Ahh, so you guys are the reason behind the £900 commision cheque I just got from PWS? ;)

Yep, very cool! The runs are quite popular .. that's about years worth and should make a few bunnies very happy :D

Back