• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm getting a bunny playhouse!!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Well after having a good discussion with my b/f we have agreed that we will get bunnies a playhouse to live in. Currently I only have Zion but will be looking to get him a friend as I think he gets quite bored easily and I start my new job next week so he won't have me around during the day.

He currently lives in a 4x2x2 hutch with a 6x4 run. We was going to add another hutch to the side before we got his friend but that will cost about another £100 approx as my b/f refuses to build another one without power tools :lol: So it costs about £160 for a playhouse and we will put the current hutch in there and maybe build a shelf to go above it so they can sit on that so to make more floor/laying space. We will add the run to the side of playhouse via a small hole so I can still access the main body for cleaning via the main door.

The playhouse I am thinking of is this:
http://www.outdoortoysdirect.co.uk/Childrens-Wooden-Playhouse/Waltons-DaisyDen

From reading the forum I believe this is adequate for two bunnies. The hutch won't be locked up but will provide a little snug if they want it. Only query I have is about the summer - the garden shed I have here gets pretty hot in the daytime. I would put mesh over the windows so to allow more air to it but still not sure how hot it will get. It won't be very near the house so I won't be able to run cabling for a fan. They will have access to the run in the day but I am more than likely going to lock them in at night and I know some mornings can get hot. I know I could make an inner door frame with mesh in the middle that I can lock and so open the main door during the day to add more ventilation. Probably wouldn't be able to do that for a little while though and as the playhouse is likely to arrive once it starts to get cooler for the winter I think this could wait.

So any tips from those of you who have bunny playhouse homes (including some pics - I have searched the site but have only found a few playhouse pics) would be fantastic.

Cheers

Shiv & Zion

my OH and i are also considering this as well!

I will be interested in what people reply - if you dont mind me being nosey!!

I know we have foxes around here so i am thinking of keeping him in the shed when we are not around with a fan on him. Would this be ok?

Sue
xx

xbunsandkids031.jpg

this is blue and hopes house .
we put a mash inner door on and took the window out and replaced it with mesh .
they are both big buns so theres no hutch inside , just a shelf with ramp and a HUGE litter tray underneath (its an old rectangular sanpit .

i kept the plastic from the window and will slot this back in during very bad weather and i shut the solid door at night.

its brill :thumb:

Oh I love these little houses, as well as being practical, they look so cute.
All you need is Gingham curtains at the window and it looks like a scene from Beatrix Potter :wink:

Ooooh that looks a lovely house! Lucky bunny/bunnies!

You may need to check the internal dimensions to see if your hutch will fit in there - it looks like it has some roof overhang so the 4'11 may well not give enough internal room to fit a 4ft hutch. Just something to consider :wink:

Right well after looking in the garden it seems that we have had to revise the playhouse issue slightly. We're now looking at a smaller play house due to space in the garden and are thinking of this one: http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemlist.php/Shedstore/Bunny/findclas/Bunny

Hehe funny it's called the 'Bunny' playhouse. Must be a sign. We already have a 4X4 section of the garden paved so it will just sit on there, perhaps slightly elevated) with the 6x4 run out to the side. We will put a 2ft deep shelf half way up which will go all the way across the back and round to just underneath the window so they can look out the window (meshed up) and effectively have 4x4 ft space on the floor and about 7x2 ft shelf space to sit on too. Will make a little hide to go on the floor as well as litter tray etc and will have vet bed during the winter.

Does this sound ok for 2 bunnies?

Cheers

:D

Yeah I did but they are 6x4 and we already measured that up and so it's too big. Also I think there may be a bit of work involved in converting them - something my OH isn't willing to do (unless I buy him power tools) and also he is going back to sea soon (he's in the navy) so he won't be here to do it anyway. I can put a shelf up myself but I am not sure I could put those together.

Thanks though - if I had a bigger garden and a boyfriend who had power tools and who wasn't leaving shortly I would definately consider it.

Yeah - I will consider it but it is just the space issue - it's funny how much difference a foot can make. In the space I have I don't think I could fit a 5ft wide playhouse and a 4ft wide run. it really is that tight a squeeze. And I don't want to go putting paving slabs down all over the place to cover the extra foot as I am in a rented property.

Thanks for the link though - me and b/f will do the measurements.

Back