• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those of you with snuffly buns

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
Have you found this extremely hot spell has brought on a bout of snuffles? Santa has got very snuffly again since it's been very hot, she's off to the vets again later today :cry:

Alison you have read my mind!!
I am CERTAIN the extreme heat causes physiological stress in Buns (AND HUMANS!!) and triggers the lattent Snuffles.
I have Major Tom and Orlaith back on treatment and am keeping a close eye on the other Buns who have had previous episodes of Snuffles.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I HATE this weather :x

Janex

No, but when I had Sharon in at the vets, white stuff came out of her nose it was bizzare.

One of my 'guest bunnies' (long story) is a bit snuffly, but only when outside. Inside she's fine. I wondered if it was some sort of hay fever?

Salt's on Baytril at the moment. The vet suggested soaking hay first to get rid of the dust, and using a paper based bedding. I've also removed the straw bedding from the hutches.

My usual vet isn't in today so I'm not sure who I am seeing later :roll:

Does anyone know what the dose is for Septrin? Depending on how it goes I will probably ask to try that this time.

AlisonA said:
My usual vet isn't in today so I'm not sure who I am seeing later :roll:

Does anyone know what the dose is for Septrin? Depending on how it goes I will probably ask to try that this time.

Reading directly from Christabel's notes dose for Septrin is 100mg/kg
Your Vet may not stock it as it is a paediatric suspension. If your Vet does you a prescription to get from a pharmacy it needs to be written as 'Co-trimoxazole Suspension 40/200mg per 5ml' (again this info taken from Christabel's notes)

Janex

Yeah, Miffy's snuffly at the moment. The vet says he's seen a few snuffly bunnies and thinks it's the heat.

AMETHYST

A big THANK YOU to Jane for the information - the vet I saw hasn't used septrin for snuffles before but was happy to listen and has given me some. She has asked that I ring her to let her know how it goes.

Santa likes it too - far easier to give than other yucky tasting medicines!

Aww... hope the snufflers get well soon!

On a similar vein, it could be a complete coincedence, but I've had a snuffly piggy within the last few days - it seems fine now, but I wondered if it was the heat.

I reckon it's pretty much the same!

Sarah it was Jodie at Bishopscourt I saw today, she's new, and she was very open to suggestion so if you ever feel the need to see a different vet with your own suggestions (or ones off here :lol: ) based on today, I'd say she's a good choice :thumb:

Ooh interesting..... might give her a go, Alison! I'm still completely paranoid about this gut stasis thing. Poo watch is getting ridiculous!! :shock: :lol:

My snuffle bun is actually doing pretty well at the moment - not much sneezing at all. It is definitely related to stress for her though as she is quite highly strung and if she is upset it has an imeadiate effect. Don't think the heat is bothering them because their hiutch run is alwaays in the shade and they get a nice cool breeze blowing through most of the time.

Spacegirl said:
Don't think the heat is bothering them because their hiutch run is alwaays in the shade and they get a nice cool breeze blowing through most of the time.

....in that case can I move in with your Buns PLEASE!! I promise to eat all my hay and not get poorly :wink: :lol:

Janex

Hawthorn had got better since we tried him on oxytet but today he had white stuff coming out of his nose again. And I had him booked to be castrated as he was so much better :? Had to cancel again :( He seems to have a nasty form of snuffles resistant to just about everything:( Penicillin didn't touch it, baytril didn't touch it. He'll have to go back next week and see what else we can try :roll:

Rudy often snores and as the hot weather started he seemed to adpot some other funny noises, when I asked the vet about it she said that cus Rudy's face is so squished :)lol: ) that the hot weather may make it slightly harder to breathe for him and as long as he had no discharge etc then it's fine.

His noises seem to have gone back to just snoring now!!

Santa could do with your thoughts please, she is VERY snuffly today, the Septrin seems to be helping a bit but by the time it comes round to the next dose she is noisy and snotty again. She has also decided that the formerly delicious tasting medicine is no longer tasty and she doesn't want to eat it. The trouble is, trying to force her to eat it just stresses her out which is totally counter-productive :cry:

I have to ring the vets at around 12.30, I'm going to ask for some bisolvon as she isn't particularly sneezy, just very snotty.

Back