• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tills (Chewing legs)

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Helloo,

Well, May's been chewing her legs lots recently, We did stop it but only for a while. I guessed she was lonely/bored (even though shes surrounded by toys etc) but today I'm not so sure. I was sat with her playing 'throw the toy at each other', and she just stopped playing to chew her legs, its mostly her back ones, and Now Im wondering if it's a habit? I've checked the skin underneath and i've no reason to think its her skin thats causing her to do it, and if it was mites/fleas, she'd be doing it all over would'nt she?! Just wondering if any of you have experienced this before?

Thank You, Becki :wink: Xxx

Is it possible Tilly could be getting nibbled by a mosquito or some other biting bug?

Maybe pop her along to the vets anyway?

Gem said:
Is it possible Tilly could be getting nibbled by a mosquito or some other biting bug?

Maybe pop her along to the vets anyway?

No its not something irritating her, but the furs gone horrible now, and yellowish on one leg :?. Might nip to the vets soon with her, Just hate going, get treated like an over-reacting idiot :oops: Xx

Hi don't know if you've read about Wooky one of our rescue buns, but he chewed his back leg through boredom/stress...took a while to heal up..all fine now.....
...well it was til one of my fosterer's buns bit his thigh :(

honeybunny said:
Hi don't know if you've read about Wooky one of our rescue buns, but he chewed his back leg through boredom/stress...took a while to heal up..all fine now.....
...well it was til one of my fosterer's buns bit his thigh :(

Of course I read about Wooky, We love im' :love:!! Erm, I did think boredom/Stress but she'll actually stop playing to do it, and even when Im playing with her. Obviously she could just be missing long eared, twitchy nosed company! Xx

Could be a bit of loneliness ..but if she stops playing to do it might be worth getting a vet to have a look...she could have something like a very small splinter in there

honeybunny said:
Could be a bit of loneliness ..but if she stops playing to do it might be worth getting a vet to have a look...she could have something like a very small splinter in there

Thanks for replying again. It's both legs though :?. I might nip her to the vets, I'll take a pic first to put up here, just to show what shes doing. Xx

You could try changing the toys she has and instead of putting her food in a bowl hide it..under hay inside a box ect..it's amazing how making a bun think can help! (I do realise you may already do this!)

kayj said:
How is Tills doing?

Thanks for asking. Yesterday I got my old Tilly-May back :D :D. Im not sure if she chewed whilst I was out, but when i got back she was all over me, and seemed so happy! She kept coming sitting on my knee, licking my nose and cheeks (obviously needed a wash :roll: :lol:), and she came up behind me and started stroking my back?!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:. Think she got a bit mixed up with who strokes who!! Xxx

Back