• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

drinking???

Dobbin

Mama Doe
I am a bit worried that Dobbin is not drinking enough!

Any tips please?

is this bad - today he has had two carrot tops which i soaked in cold water - trying to get more water into him!! There was about a cm of carrot on there and all the leaves.

IS this to much in a day or not enough? HE has also had some fresh grass, hay, parsley and mint.

Sue
xx

My rabbits drink quite a bit but prefer to drink from a bowl rather than a bottle. They drink about 2 small food bowls of water a day.

Don't worry - some days they drink that much, but the other day they drank hardly any!! (and 2 small bowls is between 2 greedy gutses. my threesome drink one small dog bowl between them in a day)

Mine drink more at night than during the day.

Try giving him wet food like apple (but not too much because high in sugar). As long as there is water there he'll drink what he needs. Rabbits don't need much water - I think my lot may just be greedy!!!! :lol:

My bunny doesn't seem to be drinking much either. He has a bowl when he comes in the house and two bottles - one on the run and one in the hutch but I can't tell how much he is drinking as they both leak profusely.

I have only seen him drink twice in the last 5 days - once from his bottle and once from a bowl. I don't know if he is drinking enough either but he knows where the water is.........

He will be getting water from all the Veg and grass he eats. Unlike other animals rabbits sometimes drink LESS in hot weather. They have a complex water absorption from their guts and their Kidneys work very differently to other mammals
Rabbits dont lose fluid through sweat either.
AlisonA says her Buns tend to drink more water if Ecinacea (Sp) is added to it so you could give that a try :D

Janex

Carrot tops are fine, although they do cause gas in some rabbits- just keep an eye out

You could keep soaking his veggies in water, I'm sure a bit extra won't hurt him.

As long as he access to water, he'll drink when thirsty :wink:

I was worried about Alfred not drinking after having his teeth done, I got him a carrot drink that is a prebiotic, and has lots of vit C - it also does contain sugar, and he absolutely loved it and drunk the whole bottle within 24 hours, and since then he has been fine.

Could be worth a try.

Jx

Back