• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oldest bunnies

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
I've always wanted to know this from other rabbit owners...

1. How old is/was your oldest rabbit out of all the rabbits you have ever had?

2. How old is your oldest rabbit out of the ones you have now?

My answers:
1. Benji (my avatar), lop cross, 7 years and 8 months old
2. The same as Benji is my oldest rabbit ever and still very much with us! :D

Ruffles, a little grey Lop was 13 when he passed to Rainbow Bridge last year. I cant take any credit for his longevity as I adopted him from a Rescue when he was 11. Have no idea how anyone could hand over an 11 year old Bun to a Rescue...... :?
Here is Ruffles

rabbits525.jpg

My oldest Bun now is Uncle Albert who is 10

Janex

1. Pippa, my lovely Rex cross, was 6 and a half when she was PTS in January :(

2. Princess is my oldest at mo, she is around 4 years old (at a guess, she was a stray so don't know!)

Nicola

Oldest bun i have ever had was Harevy at aged 8 and the oldest bun i have now is either Iris or Oakley, Oakley is 7 in december and Jill was unsure of Iris's age when we got her but put her at 6-7

1. Sharon, It is thought she is about 8, her sister dies four years ago.

2. Sharon, although it was touch and go last week.

what's an average age? It changes with breed doesnt it? My boys are only 7 months and I get a lump in my throat at the thought of losing them already.... :cry:

Oldest Rabbit I have got at the moment is Louie who is 6 in December. He's also the oldest Rabbit I have ever had.

Louise

lucyj said:
what's an average age? It changes with breed doesnt it? My boys are only 7 months and I get a lump in my throat at the thought of losing them already.... :cry:

Hmmm don't know really, It's changed from the olden days.

SOAD said:

Do you feel sad that they are getting older? I do... although at the same time it also makes me feel proud. Apart from Benji, who is the oldest, I also have Pippa (dwarf lop) at just over 7 years old, Sunny (lop cross) at just over 6 years old and Charlie (lionhead) at 5 1/2 years old.

I lost Casper at 8 weeks old (my first ever bunny --- from Petsmart... :cry: ), Toby at 2 years old (acute kidney failure), Apollo at 2 1/2 years old (liver torsion) and Star at about 6 weeks old (myxi).

Vera

SOAD said:
lucyj said:

The AVERAGE is probably around 1 - 2 years old, I doubt that most rabbits make it past that (how many of the general rabbit owning public do you know that have rabbits over 2 years old...? I know hardly any). The POTENTIAL life span is around 7 - 10 years old, although giants live less long. Rabbits have been known to go up to 14 years old or so.

Vera

my lovely gentle man Bran was approx. 12 when he died in March this year..he's on the right of the pic.
pair2.jpg

and the bun with him is Thistle....not sure of her age but at least 6....also have Patch in the rescue who is now approx 7...Patch
patchtoy.jpg

The AVERAGE is probably around 1 - 2 years old, I doubt that most rabbits make it past that (how many of the general rabbit owning public do you know that have rabbits over 2 years old...?

Sorry badly worded, i meant, how long are they likely 2 last taken care of properly, as they should be (ie not by the general rabbit owning public, sadly :cry: )

I think Ron and Tilly are coming 5 and Molly is 5, Grace is 4 Pan, Hester and Lavender are 3.5

My first ever rabbit Gemma lived until she was 8, I had her pts with a dental abscess. That was about 14 years ago though so chances are with advances in rabbit medicine she would have lived longer if she was around today!

My oldest current resident bun is Harry who is thought to be about 5, although no-one is really sure :shock:

I do have a 19 year old cat as well though :D

LurcherGirl said:
SOAD said:

Do you feel sad that they are getting older? I do... although at the same time it also makes me feel proud. Apart from Benji, who is the oldest, I also have Pippa (dwarf lop) at just over 7 years old, Sunny (lop cross) at just over 6 years old and Charlie (lionhead) at 5 1/2 years old.

I lost Casper at 8 weeks old (my first ever bunny --- from Petsmart... :cry: ), Toby at 2 years old (acute kidney failure), Apollo at 2 1/2 years old (liver torsion) and Star at about 6 weeks old (myxi).

Vera

Very sad, I always said I wouldn't have another dog because I got so upset when she was pts she was 16. So I choose buns because I didn't think I would get so atatached yet I love them so much and the time with them is so short. I couldn't imagine lossing any of them, Zippy has to have op evr two months because of her teeth, so I guess the problems are starting to show. I guess you're right though, I should really love uit that they are older and still around, Drake lived only 13/14 weeks with his heart :cry:

LurcherGirl said:
SOAD said:
lucyj said:

The AVERAGE is probably around 1 - 2 years old, I doubt that most rabbits make it past that (how many of the general rabbit owning public do you know that have rabbits over 2 years old...? I know hardly any). The POTENTIAL life span is around 7 - 10 years old, although giants live less long. Rabbits have been known to go up to 14 years old or so.

Vera

That has shocked me, 2 years :shock: . I am very lucky even my baby buns Kovu and Beatrix are older then that. Bea is nearly three and Kovu just turned two.

My oldest rabbit I've had is 11 years old, that was Thumper my first ever bun :D

Oldest at the moment is Clio... she's 2. Hopefully her and Jasper will be around for many years to come :love:

Hiya, well we had two sister bunnies called Clara and Heidi who lived to 15 many years ago :) those were our oldest rabbits ever.
Three French Lops from the same family all lived to 12 so that is a grand age for giant bunnies
Currently we have Ben who has just had his 14th Birthday and although blind, is an active and mad as ever :wink: :lol:
We have four other bunnies who are over 10 ..10 and a half and one almost eleven.
And about ten bunnies who are 8-10 years old.
Best wishes

Back