• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She doesn't like me......Help!!!!

mtoyah

Warren Scout
Smudge used to be a friendly rabbit who licked me when I held her and would hop on the sofa......

Now she runs away, kicks and scratches me with her back feet to get me to let go of her, she doesn't bite but she looks terrified and can't wait to get away from me...... :cry:

It all started after she struggled when I was holding her one night and she started sratching like mad and her fur was flying and she was hurting me! During her struggle she kicked me in the face and threw herself out of my hands hitting her head on the coffee table. She was fine but I think she hurt herself.

I wsn't holding her for just holding her I was trying to check her teeth etc (not that I ever got to because she escaped from me!!)

Anyway she's done this on several other occasions (minus the head hitting) and I want to know how to regain her trust.

She breathes really frantically when I hold her and she runs away at first sight of me. She even hides in her hutch when originally she would sit at the door waiting for me to let her out.

Her scattiness is making Twix nervous now because he sees her run and he follows.....

Please tel me what to do!! She's neuterd and has been since April. I've tried all kinds of treats but she isn't interested in any of them so I can't even tempt her over........I'm really sad that our relationship has been ruined

Just go back to basics. Let her approach you, take things at her own pace. Just sit on the floor perhaps reading a book and let her approach when she is ready. Don't try to impose yourself on her. Give her time and she'll come round again. :)

I have been hand feeding my rabbits their science selective and its made them a lot more friendly to me now I am a food dispenser! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd go back to basics too. Let her go at her own pace and she'll eventually trust you again. Feeding by hand might not be a bad idea either, if you've got the time.
My rex Cara hates having her teeth checked but they're misaligned so it's a necessary evil. I try to do it at quickly as possible and always give her a treat afterwards but she still thumps her legs angrily at me the moment I put her down. She usually forgives me after half an hour or so though, especially if theres more food to be had :lol:

Mine just don't seem to be typically hungry rabbits...they never beg or run when treats etc are about.....is that unusual?

Mine beg loads :lol: , Got to say don't worry to much. Beatrix hates me sometimes and sometimes she thinks I'm the bestest bunny Mom, granted I've never dropped her on her head though :lol: , she'll come round :wink:

mtoyah said:
Mine just don't seem to be typically hungry rabbits...they never beg or run when treats etc are about.....is that unusual?
I'm wondering whether you perhaps feed too much pellets? Mine only get a small handful a day (devided into 2 meals) and all would kill for it... The only one which isn't so keen is Angel, my wild rabbit cross, because she is still a little shy and starts eating shortly after I put it in the bowl, but will not hassle me for it like all the others... :D

mtoyah said:
I don't think it's unusual. All rabbits are different after all. Do you have a 'strict' feeding time? I find that really helps when I want them to do something. Mine love routine and react really well to it. It wasn't until I set up a proper routine that I could coax them with treats etc.

I usually feed a bowl between 2 in the morning and that lasts them all day...hmmm may be I am feeding 2 much.....if I give them less in the morning then perhaps they will be keen to see me at night when they're hungry.......

Mine get a bowl between 2 (about 4 small handfuls) and they're still ready for veg at night, but like KateCo says all bunnies are different, so maybe she just isnt a hungry bunny? I do leave at least 12 hours between feeding them tho - it depends on my shifts, if Im on an early they get breakfast at 6.30am and dinner about 7.30pm - 8pm, and if I'm on a late they'll get breakfast about 9.30am - 10am and dinner about 11pm.

Im sure if u offered her treat foods she'd soon be hungry :D , why not try the sitting on a floor reading a book thing, but with s small dish of a nice treat food like fruit or sumthing she loves beside u? It'll encourage her to come over. If it doesnt work, try having dish further away from uand moving it closer each time?ignore her when she comes right up to u the first time, til she doesnt bother with u being there. I thnk ur right, she's has a scare and is taking a while to forget it, she needs her confidence building back up.

Thanks everyone!!! I'll give it a try!! What treats do your go mad over?

I've tried papaya..not impressed,,,,she used to like dried banana.....not impressed........ :?

They seem to like herbs like parsley and she appears to love my dried flower arrangement - pest!!!

What stuff do your buns go mad for?

I won wallace over with rabbit chocolates from the pet shop! :oops:

She hardly gets them now, but if I ever want a nose bonk i just rattle the pot!!! :lol:

I started out with Milly acting like this. I hand feed her whenever I have the time and although I still struggle to pick her up she forgives me almost straight away now.

So long as they have a constant supply of hay cut right back on the pellets and veg - they will soon start begging for it. Milly has never been very interested in food but since I have cut right back to a handful of pellets per bunny in the morning and same with a couple of veggies in the evening she is happy to follow me about until I sit and feed her.

Some bunnies are naturally friendly and some will always be wary. I treat jack and Milly the same but can't pick Milly up - Jack happily lets me cuddle him and carry him about with complete trust - he knows he always gets a treat after. :roll: :lol:

Back