• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put in a hutch?

Rabscuttle

Warren Scout
I am building a nice hutch for my Continental Giant.

The floor area is 80 square feet (roughly 2m x 2.5m) There is a large outside run attached to this hutch (is it still called a hutch when it is room sized?)

Now the question is "what should go into this area. So far I have

a) litter tray
b) Food and water.
c) A good supply of hay.
d) A rabbit

So now I have the luxury of space what more should I add? All suggestions welcome.

Rabs

A hidey-hole of some description, whether it be a large pet carrier or a hutch etc, just somewhere that the bun can actually get into to hide/snuggle.

A nice yellow pages or similar to shred :lol:

Some kind of tunnel (if you can get something big enough for a conti!)

A cat bed

Some vetbed flooring for the winter

Mine like kitchen roll tubes to chew them and chuck them around the place.
Also willow balls I have found have been a great success :D

Hi there,

I have a 7 month old British giant and his favourite thing in his run is his extra large cardboard box but it sounds like yours has room for that.

DSCF0395.jpg

Maybe it would be possible to get some lino or similar for the litter area, it's much easier to clean and maybe a nice change for bun, maybe even a carpet in the bedroom area to keep warm in the winter?

Obviously the most important things are TOYS!!! :lol:

kitara said:
Hi there,

I have a 7 month old British giant and his favourite thing in his run is his extra large cardboard box but it sounds like yours has room for that.

What a fantastic rabbit that is.

"Toys" what do your buns like to play with?

Rabs

MIne like willow balls stuffed with hay and plant pots filled with hay that they can chuck around. A treat ball goes down well too.

Seagrass mats, straw plaits and vine balls are a big hit with my girls in their hutch! :thumb: I also have a litter tray with hay in it, a hay rack, a box full of hay in their bed area to lie in and a fleecy cat bed. :D

I put a plastic stool in for my conti, he sits on it, under it, throws it around! I also give my contis balls with bells in, they love throwing them around to get my attention (often at 3am! I can hear them from my room)

Willow balls are balls made from woven willow (tree) - a bit like wicker. It's quite bendy and the bunsters love to gnaw it. You get willow balls and willow baskets and stuff from places like Bunny Basics, either empty or stuffed full of hay/treats.

Yes, if you're not going to put an extra bun in there, I'd defo go for some willow things :D :D :D

Wendy-Jane said:
Yes, if you're not going to put an extra bun in there, I'd defo go for some willow things :D :D :D

I will look out for them.

I the meantime I have an old wicker laundry basket. If I knock the bottom out I have a "conti" sized bunny tunnel.

:D

Rabs

Quick update.

My laundry basket, the Ali Baba kind made from a big coil of grassy stuff, is a big big hit.

I took the base off and bingo, instant tunnel. There is a lot of chomping going on, so I might need a new one in a week or two. :lol:

Rabs

The 99p shop and the pound shop sell some super sized balls which jingle, all my rescues love them. I lie in bed at night and hear them all jingling :D

I just got mine a sand pit its only shall but they all love to dig in it. Billy spends hours in it digging all over, it also saves my lawn lol!

Aimee84 said:
I just got mine a sand pit its only shall but they all love to dig in it. Billy spends hours in it digging all over, it also saves my lawn lol!

what have you put in it for them to dig?

I added some childrens play sand they love it not too deep though so they can dig a burrow as they'd have cave in's etc. They do seem to love it I keep it slightly damp so it doesn't make them sneeze!

Aimee84 said:
I added some childrens play sand they love it not too deep though so they can dig a burrow as they'd have cave in's etc. They do seem to love it I keep it slightly damp so it doesn't make them sneeze!

I think I'll copy you then, I've got an old sandpit from my son and Pippa loves digging so much (she's not impressed I've put mesh under her run now!), she'd really enjoy that. Thanks :D

Back