• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunnies

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I've had my bunnies in the house a bit lately, due to the weather. Although I'm not planning to turn them into house bunnies (house isn't really 'bunny proofed'), I absolutely love having them around me. I just wondered, out of interest, whether those of you who have house bunnies restrict them to a part of the house, or whether they have the run of the house?? :)

Mine have the run of the living room. All electrical appliances are kept on corner desks so the wires are inaccessible, and we have a laminate floor so carpet digging isn't an issue.

AMETHYST

Mine have the run of the downstairs part of the house, I open the patio doors during the day too so they can come and go into the garden as they please :D

George has the run of the whole of downstairs. All our wires have been either boxed in, or lamp cables etc. have been covered in that curly tubing.

We do have carpet in the lounge and the dining room, but thankfully he's not much of a carpet chewer/digger. On the occasions he has had a little bite, I've clapped and shouted NO firmly, and he does now respond to No.
I also give him seagrass mats which he loves and seem to do the trick.

He always uses his litter tray so no worries there.
The only restriction is in the conservatorty where he is a bit partial to my wicker furniture, so I bought one of those pens that can be also be used as a room divider and we now have the furniture at one end and he is allowed in the other.

He is allowed to come upstairs, but only if I shut all the doors, as there is too much of the childrens stuff in their bedrooms to be able to bunnyproof properly.

Well, Squidgy our housebun has no incisors :D so chewing isn't an issue. He's only allowed in the one room most of the time - where my o/h works in the day and we spend a lot of time. However, we do let him have a supervised run around the house. He loves stairs :shock: so we let him up and down when we're watching. He's a little black bunny and it's rather a large house, so we don't want to lose him :lol:

Mine are restricted to my spare bedroom when im asleep or at work/out.. but when im in they have the whole flat, altho they never venture into the kitchen or bathroom.. think its due to the vinyl flooring :D Id never be without them! :D

Deej has the run of downstairs . I've cordoned off the TV etc as there are lots of cables he likes to try and get in, apart from that so far he's been fairly well behaved. He has a small nibble of the carpet but I think that's more due to the fact he's found an interesting smell, so I'm going to try hoovering more and trying a neutradol powder stuff! He has tried to nibble a few other things, but nothing to bad as of yet (keeping my fingers crossed). He rarely does it when I'm out of the room, only when I'm there (attention seeking! :? )

:)

My two live in a big dog crate with extra shelf when we're out at work etc. When we're in the flat they have the run of the lounge (theres a baby gate on the door to keep them in), and sometimes they get to run around the flat and roof terrace. The lounge is bunny proofed with all cables boxed in, extra rugs to protect the carpet under their cage/litter tray etc. They're mostly good, Charlie has chewed one of the sofa covers a bit and he's an occassional digger but we've managed to persuade him digigng hin his litter tray is better than the carpet.

I love having them in the lounge, on the odd occassion that they're not here it feels really quiet and lonely. :( :oops:

harvey i guess has the run of the house but he chooses not to go upstairs and all the downstairs is open so he races round the front/dining room...

When I had Binky, he was allowed the run of the sitting room and kitchen but he wasn't allowed upstairs. Of course, he ignored this rule and went up there all the time. :roll: :lol:

Having had outside rabbits previously and now having house rabbits, I can definitely say that I believe you get a much closer relationship when they are in the house.

Mine have our spare room. When we are at work they are in there but when i get home they pretty much have the run of the house!!

Mine are restricted to 2 rooms, but I let them out in their groups everyday into the rest of the house- cept the bedroom. I'm allergic!

I have a group of 3 in the spare room and a pair in my bedroom. They ahve to take turns for the run of the rest of the house.

They all come outside when I get home from work - a run for the pair and the threesome have the run of the garden. :D

My two live in the sitting room where they have a pen in the corner. Since they can get in and out of it when they want, they basically have the run of the sitting room. It's bunny proof and they like the odd run around but to be honest, they like their pen more. They know not to go out of that room, though Cara makes a bid for it every so often and looks very guilty when you catch her, lol. They also have the garden which is completely bunny proof, but we supervise them when they're out.
I've also got a spare bedroom which I use for 'guest bunnies'. At the moment I've got a bonded trio from the Freeads living in it, until I can find them a new home. Have to admit I'm not looking that hard, and I do seem to spend a lot of time researching how to bond a group of three with a pair...but don't tell my hubby that :lol:

Have to admit I'm not looking that hard, and I do seem to spend a lot of time researching how to bond a group of three with a pair...but don't tell my hubby that

When you find out how you do it, let me know!! :wink:

Jack and Milly have restricted themselves to the dining room part of the kitchen which is quite handy!! To get out they have to cross slippy laminate flooring and its too slippy for their woolly paws :lol: :lol:

They are little monsters though - they eat my dining room chair legs, the wallpaper, the carpet, poo everywhere, leave trails of wood cat litter everywhere, take hay out the hay box and scatter it everywhere and generally get jack climbs onto a chair in the corner and leans onto the central kitchen worktop and begs for food!

The dining room needs decorating so I don't mind they are destroying it - not sure what I am going to do when it is decorated!! I am also always embarrased when anyone comes round and I haven't cleaned the bunny area!

I love my little monsters though - they really get away with anything! They have me wrapped round their cute little paws!

Back