• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly back from vets u/d

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I took Molly and Faline out in the car just now. Molly's well used to the car and it usually doesn't fase him but I when I took them out and put them in the bathroom Molly was shaking a lot, and I noticed Faline had a wet back and then that Molly's nose/mouth was very runny. I literally soaked a tissue wiping it. He sat lied down still shaking and kept wiping his nose, and sticking his tongue out and it sounded very saliva'y.

He's been quiet all day, not wanting to come out of his crate, but I put it down to the heat.

I'll take him to the vet tomorrow morning but for now is there anything I can do, the shaking seems like he's panting and I'm worried that he's having trouble breathing. :cry:

If you think he is having trouble breathing you must get him to a vet NOW!!
Phone your normal Vets number and a recorded message should give you details of who to contact in an emergency. A rabbit having trouble breathing CANNOT wait til tomorrow to see a Vet.

Janex

I don't mean that he's wheezing or not getting enough air. It's just more like he couldn't get his breathing back to a normal rate. It's settled now and he's hopping around the room. I made sure he was breathing ok again before posting the topic, in my concern I phrased it wrong. :)

I'm just concerned that if he exerts himself he'll get in that panty shaky state again.

If he was stressed by a car jouney then his respiration rate is very likely to increase significantly.
Sorry if I panicked :oops:
Just the words 'difficulty breathing' made me sit up and take notice!
Glad all seems well now :D

Janex

Some rabbits do get really stressed out by car journeys. My Timmy (OTB) used to salivate like mad in the 5 minutes between here and the vets - they always used to be concerned that it was a sign of dental problems because he was like it whenever he went, but nope, he just hated the carrier! I know some other buns do get a wet nose when travelling as well, so as long as his breathing is ok which it sounds like it is now, don't panic too much!

Jack's-Jane said:
If he was stressed by a car jouney then his respiration rate is very likely to increase significantly.
Sorry if I panicked :oops:
Just the words 'difficulty breathing' made me sit up and take notice!
Glad all seems well now :D

Janex

It's ok, I do appreciate your concern, and I would have probably been running around like a headless chicken if it was worse, so it would have been just what I needed to hear.

hm. He's never salivated or got panicky in the car before. When I was at uni he used to travel back and forth from uni with me which was a two hour journey about once a month. He was reluctant to come out of the crate this time. Although last time he was in the car it was to go be neutered, maybe now he thinks it's bad?

I think I'll still take him to be safe though.

Ok, we have baytril antibiotics over a 10 day course. Vet said he probably has a 'bit of a cold' brought on from the stress of his neutering/the weather/the new bun. Weirdly he seems a lot perkier today, lol. His breathing was a bit harsh but she said nothing to worry about. Yay!

I think also any car journey, whatever animal in this weather can make them all hot and flustered, so that can cause breathing problems.

Back