• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny.

Should I get a new bunny?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AprilShower

Warren Veteran
Hi,
Life has been very lonely without Binky seeing as I miss him so much and I know that a new bunny won't change that but I can't help but want one. After all, I could do with a bunny cuddle. :roll:
Now, there might just be a TINY chance that my local pet rescue will have a bunny or two waiting to be rehomed but I doubt that. I'm pretty sure they only have cats and maybe a couple of dogs. If there's no luck there, I'll see if they have any bunnies in other places close by. I'd be a lot happier if I took home a bun from a rescue instead of a pet shop or a breeder. Right, so that's the main problem for me. A hutch isn't a problem. I'll have the bunny vaccinated against myxi and VHD and whatever else is necessary. And this time he/she will be neutured/speyed. We actually had plans to get Binky neutured in July but the poor thing went to the Bridge. :cry:

Ok, so if I can get a bunny from a rescue, then I probobly will. But if I can't, and I really want a bunny, it means buying from a pet shop which I don't want to do but that's really my only other option if I want a bunny. :(

It sounds like you've got lots of love to give to a new bunny. I'd make enquiries with your local rescue, and if they have no rabbits at the moment, perhaps ask them to contact you when they do.

Personally, I'd hold on for a rescue rather than going down the pet shop route.

I voted yes, I think it's a good idea and I'm sure it will help with the healing process. If you can't find a rescue rabbit I'm sure there will be reputable breeders in Ireland, rather than a pet shop. Good luck with your search!

I voted yes :D
You deserve another little baby in your life. You of course wont be replacing binky, but you will be filling that hole in your heart :D

I understand you problem with the rescue situation. You have complained for ages how there aren't any rescue buns where you live. I understand you completely! I think that if there really are no options, or no transports that can be made available, getting a bun from a petshop or breeder will be OK.
It is not ideal, but you deserve another bun in your life.
You shouldn't not be able to get one because of the rescue situation.

The bottom line is love. You will be able to provide a rabbit the love it deserves, whether its from a rescue, petshop, or breeder. And they will for sure love you back :D

Leah xx

I voted 'Yes' too. What better tribute to your beloved Binky than to give a loving home to another Bunny......or two :wink:

Are you in Southern Ireland? Is there an equivalent to the RSPCA in Eire?
I am sure if you do a bit of research you will find a Bun in need of a home.
Or maybe some-one from mainland UK is going to Ireland for a holiday :?
Now that would be a Bunny Run!!

Janex

I voted yes.

I have lost 2 bunnies recently. Mosschops had been Bojangles girlfriend his whole life and when she got PTS he was so sad. I got him a new girlfriend Poppy but she was only with us for a weeks when she suddenly got ill and is no longer with me.

At first I couldn't bear the thought of a new bun, but Bo was so lonely that I got him another new girlie.

Bluebelle is different to both Mossy and Poppy. I still miss both of them but Bluebelle is such a character and has made my Bo very happy again.

I do think it is easier when you still have one. But I think you will know if the time is right for you.

Good luck:)

I voted yes too :) When James died I felt so lonely not having a bun to talk to or play with, I was due to pick up Clio that week anyway (ironic!) so 2 weeks after I did, and I'm so glad I got her, she made things so much easier for me. Go for it! :D

Jack's-Jane said:
I voted 'Yes' too. What better tribute to your beloved Binky than to give a loving home to another Bunny......or two :wink:

Are you in Southern Ireland?

No, I'm in Offaly, kind of the middle of Ireland.

Jack's-Jane said:
Is there an equivalent to the RSPCA in Eire?
Yep, there's the ISPCA. I had a look on their website and they mostly have cats and dogs, then they have a few horses and in Leinster (which is where I am) they have one bunny. They don't have any information about the bunny though but I've e-mailed them.

You will find that not all animals are on the website of many larger organisations. They might well have bunnies in but don't advertise the fact! :)

Hiya,

It's a bit of a long shot but might be worth seeing if any of the English rescues take Irish dogs from pounds in your area. They might be willing to bring a bun over when they pick up dogs.

It definately worth calling the local rescues, alot of the time they don't mention small animals on their websites. Also asking in local petshops or vets might find somewhere :)

Tam

i think that you should take one another bun. It is NEVER replacing them..... it is a tribute to their memory, you would give a bunny a home that most can only dream of xxxxx

I think you should get another bun too. :D What could be a better tribute to Binky then giving another bun a good home?

I'd say look around small rescues near you that may not have websites to see if they have buns, but if there are no buns in rescues then I'd personally go for a breeder. There are usually healthier and more friendly than pet shop bunnies. :D

It makes sense for you to get another bunny....there are so many looking for good homes, you were so dedicated to Binky and now he is at the bridge you are free to give another bunny a home. Binky will always have a special place in your heart as your first bunny but hopefully he will be one of many much loved bunnies that are lucky enough to come and live with you. Milly and Jack are the third pair of house rabbits I have had over the last 16 years. You never forget any of them.

Well, our local rescues defintely just have dogs and cats.
I got an e-mail back from the ISPCA, they said they have just the one bunny, he's 6 months old and neutured. He's in Longford which isn't too far away from me. His name's Thumper.
http://www.ispca.ie/content/leinster-other.html
A new problem has been created though. :roll: My parents aren't sure about a new bunny. :roll: I find this unfair because when Binky went to The Bridge, that very night, they told me I can get a new bunny if I want. I don't understand how they can just suddenly not think a bunny is a good idea. We had a bunny for 2 years, didn't we? :roll: Not to mention that a new rabbit was supposed to be a present for my birthday which is in a week and a half.
I think they're being a bit unreasonable but I guess they are my parents, and I don't want to get a bunny if he/she's not going to be wanted by some people.
They've said I'm allowed to get an animal but they don't think a rabbit is the right way to go because they're too "delicate". In other words, they fall ill easily without anyone noticing which is basically what happened to Binky.
I've thought about adopting a cat but I don't know much about them. I've also thought about adopting a dog but again, I don't know much about them.

Advice would be appreciated.

Jennifer.

I voted "Yes" - Any bunny would be lucky to have someone like you who will look after them so well.

You don't need to re-home a rescue bun if there are none nearby. There must be plenty of people around with accidental litters :roll: that are looking for homes and they could well end up in rescue centres anyway.

Perhaps your parents are concerned that you'll get upset again should the new rabbit get ill. Of course you will, and parents want to protect us from those sort of things, but maybe if you explain that you can handle it and are ready for a new rabbit they'll see sense.

When Leon died I was gutted (and still am) :(

When Leon was still alive I contacted a rescue and got Wallace to be a friend for him. Then when Leon died I got Oliver to be a friend for Wallace. When I went to get Oliver I saw Theo and Zinzan too and fell in love.

Because I am now in contact with the rescue I went to their open day recently and saw Michelle and fell in love with her too!!

Isn't it amazing?? One little Lionhead from a garden centre has been the reason for 5 mistreated/abandoned rabbits coming to live with me! :D

A pet shop rabbit doing his bit for rabbit welfare!! :D

Rabbits deserve better and you know you can give them it!! :D

Back