• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly repellent

Lizzie

Mama Doe
Thought this was interesting....I have used eucalyptus but never peppermint oil in an effort to deter flies. I have tended to keep old bits of log/wood to absorb the oil then put near the bunnies cages but not tooo near, seems to work well. Thought others might be interested in this and this is the company I used to by Harriet's essiac tea from, they are very helpful and really nice people. :D

please bear in mind that eucalyptus oil is highly toxic if ingested. make sure if you use this as a repellant that you do not use it directly on the animal or on wood etc that might be chewed.

lavender oil is also effective in helping keep the bugs at bay...as is raw garlic..if you can stand the smell :wink:

maxxev said:
please bear in mind that eucalyptus oil is highly toxic if ingested. make sure if you use this as a repellant that you do not use it directly on the animal or on wood etc that might be chewed.

lavender oil is also effective in helping keep the bugs at bay...as is raw garlic..if you can stand the smell :wink:

You are a source of BRILLIANT information!!

Thank-You :D

Janex

Did you not notice that I emphasised not "toooo near"??? :wink: Absolutely ALL essential oils must be treated with extreme caution!

Yes ditto!

I'm a qualified equine aromatherapist, an done of the things I was taught in my training was about tea tree oil, apparantly it has caused paralysis in cats, and should be treated with caution. Also very few animals will self select it...

Jx

Think I might have to try the eucalyptus oil on a bit of wood outside the hutch as I hate the thought of my buns having to live with flies buzzing round them :?

Thanks Lizzie :thumb:

Apache said:
Yes ditto!

I'm a qualified equine aromatherapist, an done of the things I was taught in my training was about tea tree oil, apparantly it has caused paralysis in cats, and should be treated with caution. Also very few animals will self select it...

Jx

oh! you have my dream job! :D
i didnt know that about teatree oil :? i knew that it should not be used near birds especialy in a vapourizer because if over heated the effect can be similar to that of over heated nonstick cookwear...ie..respiratory faliure.
does it effect cats the same way or is the effect only apparnet when applied to the skin? (or is this due to the oil being ingested?...ie...applied to the skin and licked of?)

appologies lizzie...i did notice the 'not to near' warning but thought i would make it clear just in case someone misread/skim read the post and then got over enthusiastic with the application of eucalyptus oil.

maxxev said:
Apache said:
Yes ditto!

Jx

oh! you have my dream job! :D
i didnt know that about teatree oil :? i knew that it should not be used near birds especialy in a vapourizer because if over heated the effect can be similar to that of over heated nonstick cookwear...ie..respiratory faliure.
does it effect cats the same way or is the effect only apparnet when applied to the skin? (or is this due to the oil being ingested?...ie...applied to the skin and licked of?)

Hi,
Sorry my day job is in IT, and definately not so overrun with clients that I have any chance of doing this full time :(

The cases concerning the cats involved where it had been applied topically, the details are in a book called "holistic aromatherapy" by Kirsten Leigh Bell, 2 of the cats recovered after treatment at the vets, a third was PTS.

I'd dug the book out to check about giving oils to small animals (being only qualified to deal with horses!), it recommends only using hydrosols around rabbits, as the aroma of pure oils can be too strong.

Jx

Back