• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foster Network?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been sorta playing with the idea of setting up some sort of foster network scheme - particularly with people in areas that there aren't any/many rescues. I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on how it could work/potential issues etc.

I was thinking on insiting that the buns owner get them vaccinated first and provide a certificate - as most people don't have massive amounts of space to keep rabbits totally seperate.

I was thinking insurance to cover vets bill but i'm not sure how well that would work as rabbits could come in with problems.

Then there is how to rehome them - could they be moved to rescues after their neutering/vacc etc. are done i.e. the fosters act as half way houses so the buns don't take up space at the rescue whilst they are not ready for adoption. But, then there is getting them there. Or would the foster rehome them in which case they'd have to handle homechecks etc.

Then there is checking out the fosterers....

Lot's to think about and nothing's going to happen quick but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I think this is a fab idea Tamsin! In my area there are no rescues and i don't have the resources to turn myself into one but i can happily foster a few buns at a time, i think the half way house for rescue would be a good idea and the more confident fosteres could re-home directly transfering all adoption funds to the rescue there fostering for.

It's cool - BUT how would you go about insisting people vaccinate their buns? I have had free ad buns not let out of their hutch for 6 months/ever fed hay etc, so think there would still be a lot of buns that would be excluded from this
:?

I would be more than happy to take a bun or two but they'd have to be in fairly good health, more than happy to arrange nuetering etc though

The only problem is I have no transport :(

I would love to foster short term - I could take either a single bun or a bonded pair. How long do you consider short term - I was thinking a month or two per bun. If I had a decent garden I would love to foster longer term but I don't and bunnies would have to be house bunnies. They can stay in my spare room - I never have any human guest staying so its practically unused!!! I think its a fab idea - esp if a rescue has a waiting list of a bunny comming in from a unwanted home. At least they would be in a loving home for a while.

I think ideally if they get passed on to rescues short term would be a max of 6 weeks in foster. That gives you two vaccs and a neuter, each two weeks apart. Then they're ready to be adopted. Obviously is they've got bits done and there is space to move them to rescue (or the fosterer finds a home) - shorter.

I wouldn't exclude anything in an emergency but vaccs would have to depend on the foster home... don't want to put any buns at risk. I think it's good to encourage people to do the vaccs etc. (or pay for them) we can call that a general policy but make exceptions as needed.

I think the adoption funds would probably go for neutering the next foster bun ;)

It's mainly the vets bills that worry me - we'd have to make sure there is money to cover them. Vacc/neutering you can plan for it's the illnesses. I think I need to have a chat with petplan and see what they could do.

It would have to work out per foster exactly how the rehoming went - whether they did it themselves, bun went to rescue or even another volunteer handled the homecheck side of things.

I'd be interested to hear from the rescues whether they'd be interested in working with something like this so they got neutered/vacc'd/healthy buns passed on to them.....

Tam

Tamsin said:
I think ideally if they get passed on to rescues short term would be a max of 6 weeks in foster. That gives you two vaccs and a neuter, each two weeks apart. Then they're ready to be adopted. Obviously is they've got bits done and there is space to move them to rescue (or the fosterer finds a home) - shorter.

I wouldn't exclude anything in an emergency but vaccs would have to depend on the foster home... don't want to put any buns at risk. I think it's good to encourage people to do the vaccs etc. (or pay for them) we can call that a general policy but make exceptions as needed.

I think the adoption funds would probably go for neutering the next foster bun ;)

It's mainly the vets bills that worry me - we'd have to make sure there is money to cover them. Vacc/neutering you can plan for it's the illnesses. I think I need to have a chat with petplan and see what they could do.

It would have to work out per foster exactly how the rehoming went - whether they did it themselves, bun went to rescue or even another volunteer handled the homecheck side of things.

I'd be interested to hear from the rescues whether they'd be interested in working with something like this so they got neutered/vacc'd/healthy buns passed on to them.....

Tam

My temp buns are insured with Pet plan :thumb: 22 buns (12 of em mine), & 1 horse is £120 per month. Bargin!! :lol:

Cool! Can I be nosey and ask how it works? Is there an exclusion period, like anything in the first x days you get them isn't covered? Do you name them on the policy or is it just for 10 temporary bunnies and you rotate which 10 they are?

I wonder if RR could have one policy covering all the buns even tho their at different addresses/vets :?

Tamsin said:
Cool! Can I be nosey and ask how it works? Is there an exclusion period, like anything in the first x days you get them isn't covered? Do you name them on the policy or is it just for 10 temporary bunnies and you rotate which 10 they are?

I wonder if RR could have one policy covering all the buns even tho their at different addresses/vets :?

It's new! My own buns & horse are £75 a month. I only had 1 temp bun at the time I sorted it, so I just rang up & kept adding them. If they're here for a couple of weeks I don't bother - but I had Treacle over my holiday, so got her insured, & I knew the babies would be here til neutering, so put all them on aswell. i have to give a months notice to remove in theory - but twice now, when i've called, they've just let me transfer the insurance across to another bun on the spot. They are insured from the minute you request it.
All my temp buns are covered at the min, cos I'm not getting any more & they will be here a while!

a great idea Tamsin..there's is a lot more work to rehoming than most people think so if a rescue can take in buns already to go would help sooooo much. Sadly you do not often get much, if anything in way of donation so rescue may have to fund vacs/op as normal.

Jill - I was thinking RR would fund the vaccs/neut. Get the rabbit ready to be rehomed then hand it over to the rescue ready to go straight up for adoption. So pre the rescue getting it they wouldn't be responsible for the costs - hence the insurance for vet bills ;)

The rabbits could be ones off the rescues waiting list though.

That sounds great Angie! What happens if the rabbit comes in with problems is that excluded or do you sign them up the first vet visit? Are teeth covered and what's the excess you have to pay on the claim?

Tam

Tamsin said:
Jill - I was thinking RR would fund the vaccs/neut. Get the rabbit ready to be rehomed then hand it over to the rescue ready to go straight up for adoption. So pre the rescue getting it they wouldn't be responsible for the costs - hence the insurance for vet bills ;)

The rabbits could be ones off the rescues waiting list though.

That sounds great Angie! What happens if the rabbit comes in with problems is that excluded or do you sign them up the first vet visit? Are teeth covered and what's the excess you have to pay on the claim?

Tam

slightly worried about the vets bills that pet plan and like dont cover, i have had lots of dentals in from just a few molars spurs to need to be removed incisior immediately, insurance doesnt cover things like this does it..

but would be very interested in any insurance for rescues though, as when i calle dup pet plan when i just had lots of my own it was £10 per head per month i had 28 buns, and now have in excess of 60 :shock:

would also recommend the bulk buy of virkon! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be very happy to help foster some buns, I don't think there are any rescues near me, the closest is Jill :D
I often see buns up for rehoming in the local papers and shops but I'm unable to help as I know nothing about rehoming :( but if they had a rescue waiting for them, then it would be magnificent :D

We have a huge back garden and I'm sure Neil could be persuaded to make some hutches for them :D

Tamsin said:

Tam

Only thing excluded from my policy is Flint & abscesses & Smirnoff & his teeth :roll: I only have to disclose a "known" problem within the last 3 months, so temp buns have always got "none".

£50 excess, & Yes teeth are covered - cept for smirnoff (he had regular dentals when I got him, but just a 6 monthly check now & no treatment required for the past year :D )

Pet Plan wanted my Vet details, but have never requested a health check.

Angie65 said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

Only thing excluded from my policy is Flint & abscesses & Smirnoff & his teeth :roll: I only have to disclose a "known" problem within the last 3 months, so temp buns have always got "none".

£50 excess, & Yes teeth are covered - cept for smirnoff (he had regular dentals when I got him, but just a 6 monthly check now & no treatment required for the past year :D )

so unknown dentails are covered? thats not what they told me, and they said i could not cover hagrid becase of his hip dyplaysia or his sister because she was "at risk being that its hereditory :roll: :roll: ) so always thought it was a shear wasnt of time but ater the last couple of weeks i have had with my buns i sometimes wonder!

bunnylove said:
Angie65 said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

so unknown dentails are covered? thats not what they told me, and they said i could not cover hagrid becase of his hip dyplaysia or his sister because she was "at risk being that its hereditory :roll: :roll: ) so always thought it was a shear wasnt of time but ater the last couple of weeks i have had with my buns i sometimes wonder!

That's what they told me. I've never claimed on anything though....

Back