• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Training" rabbits?

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
Does any one here have a bunny that does as it's told! :lol:

We taught our pet rat's several commands like paws (so there feet dont get caught in the cage doors) and various other things.

Anyway so far the only 2 things Deej understands are the noise of his food bag (he's instantly under my feet and I cant even put his bowl down as he runs round like an idiot) :lol: and if I put my hand down and wiggle my fingers it means nose rubs (he'll come over if he's in the mood).

I can't seem to get him to understand anything else especially not the word NO! :lol: I thought that as rabbit's mostly use body language I'd try something simple but nothing works!

Also I'd love it if he didn't always follow me about 1cm behind, I've lost count of how many times I've trodden on him, and nearly tripped over and killed us both! :shock:

Any tips?

My rabbits know loads of tricks!! Like . . . they eat on the production of food, I have trained them to poop all over their cages by providing them with a litter tray in the corner, giving them expensive toys is the sign for them to throw their food bowl around and in the house the opening of the door to a restricted room is the signal for them to fly through it!
It took me months to get them so well controlled :lol:

Spacegirl said:
My rabbits know loads of tricks!! Like . . . they eat on the production of food, I have trained them to poop all over their cages by providing them with a litter tray in the corner, giving them expensive toys is the sign for them to throw their food bowl around and in the house the opening of the door to a restricted room is the signal for them to fly through it!

Awww, what obediant bunnies! :lol:

Crunchie is very well behaved, she doesn't do tricks but has learnt simple things like to stop chewing/destroying when I clap, she knows her menu and feeding times well, she goes nuts if I forget to put the right mix of herbs down :lol:
She knows not to chew on furniture now and has a very hygienic bathroom manner!

She also helps me, for instance, if she feels too hot she'll nudge me and 'bunny flop' to let me know, and if she's cold, she'll nudge and curl up in a ball, it's very helpful as I obviously don't know her temperature.
I didn't train her to do anything though, I think we have just found a way to communicate :D

The only suggestion I have is the clapping thing, when she's chewing something she shouldn't be I do one sharp clap and she'll stop and do something else :D it didn't work straight away, I started by doing the clap then moving her away so she got the hint :wink: but now she fully understands and knows that she really shouldn't be chewing my £200 jeans :shock: :lol: :lol:

Smirnoff was my first bun & lived on his own for about 6-7 months. He understands "No", "Litter Tray!!!" & "You little ***, you've chewed through my phone charger!". He is actually really good now. The others never had the time spent on them - but I discovered Bunny Proofing! :wink:

Willow's good in that he goes back into his cage to wee or poo and isn't a chewer, but that's more down to luck than training!
At the moment I'm trying to teach him that my legs aren't for humping all day :roll: but I think there's only one real answer to that one- time for the snip!!!

Vicki x

I think both of mine understand a lot of what I tell them but in typical bunny style just choose to ignore me. In fact I think they do stuff just to wind me up. Jack loves to chew my feet because he gets such a reaction from me everytime. I swear he sneaks up to do it and then runs off looking smug!! And if I'm in the room Milly will look at me and stare until she has my attention and then turn to the wall and rip a piece of paper off and run really fast away from me with it flapping in her mouth!!!

Anyway with bunnies I think it's a case of them training you rather than your training them!!

Aw, i feel all lucky now. Molly comes to his name, or if you scratch on the floor. After a bit of persistant calling and lap patting he'll jump on to a lap. He'll do his 'sit up trick' and he knows 'no' (after a few attempts. :p )

My new bunny however... My Dad has started doing the Damien tune to her. Her farourite trick is getting under her litter tray and tipping it upside down. -.-

Is Deej neutered? Unneutered males can sometime get quite fixated on feet. Another bun is usually a good way to stop them following you 24/7 though there is the slight risk you end up with two doing it :lol:

My buns know what 'up' (stand up) and 'bedtime' (get in the hutch) mean. I've tried teaching them their names but they've never picked them up, although if I make a clicky sound with my tounge they come running! :lol: :lol:

I have never bothered to actually train my rabbits, they know the word "no" though. Rabbits (like most animals) can however easily be clicker trained. :D

Spacegirl said:

Wow! That's exactly the tricks my 2 know! What clever bunnies they are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamsin said:
Is Deej neutered? Unneutered males can sometime get quite fixated on feet. Another bun is usually a good way to stop them following you 24/7 though there is the slight risk you end up with two doing it :lol:

He certainly is neutered! :D I don't think it's a feet thing, as if I'm in the room he's happy to ignore me but usually if I walk into another room he has to follow me! and if it's the kitchen he tends to be underfoot (when he's not trying to climb into the fridge)! :lol:

Back