• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving Baytril - Positioning? I'm getting ripped to shreds!

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
My Foster Giant Bun - Big Fudge, was neutered last Tuesday. He had dissolvable stitches, but picked them all out & got an infected, erm "plum". It has the usual bruising, & the right one is swollen. There's some pus, but no heat, & it's dry (but yellow). He went back to the vets Friday, & has another appointment tonight. The vet gave him an antibiotic jab, & I'm syringe feeding baytril & giving him salt-water baths (twice daily).

The problem is the baytril. He's quite a big bun, very friendly, doesn't mind being picked up (usually) - but with my other 6 buns that had baytril, I had them on their backs, with their head tucked under my arm (while seated). Fudge is really fighting in this position. I have some pretty severe scratches on my arm, chest & face (& I have a first date looming!!! ARGH!!). He makes all these snuffly noises & is really scared. He no longer comes to me anymore :( Is there a way to avoid this struggle?

I'm mixing baytril with ribena/pineapple juice. It's not affecting his appetite, but i'm really upsetting him - (& myself!!)

When i give it to mine i put them on the floor inbetween (while kneeling down)my legs then i lern over then hold there front legs and squirt in there mouth no struggling at all i couldnt give it to mine on there backs without getting kicked in the face :shock:

When I used to give it to Bob i just had him sat on the table in front on me and gently opened his mouth and put it in- i had my elbow hooked round his bum to stop him shuffling backwards..although he was quite poorly though so didn't mind or struggle too much.

I'd try giving it to him on some food before he has either his evening or morning food to encourage him to eat it- put it on something tasty like oats/pellets/apple/banana/ babyfood

oh and you can give it to them in water- my vet reccomended this for Esmerelda rather than syringing it in.

It's impossible to calculate how much they actually take in water which is why syringing it in is much preferred

Can you place big bun on a towel, then wrap him up?

Maisie has recently had Baytril and I put a handful of pellets in a bowl and the Baytril on top. Then I use the end of a carrot to go over the bowl after she has eaten the pellets and any residue left she bites off the end of a carrot. As she loves pellets and only has a few she woofs them and the Baytril. I feel the correct amount of Baytril has gone in this way.

I mix it with food too - ways that have worked for me include mixing it with some porridge oats, squirting it in among a broccoli floret (although you do need to hold the floret whilst feeding it to ensure the baytril doesn't run out everywhere), scoring a piece of apple or carrot with a knife and sqeezing the baytril into the cracks and letting it soak in before feeding.

I'm havign to give Alfred anti-biotics at the moment, I'm just giving him a tiny portion of pellets for his tea, and syringing the anti-b on it beforehand, when it is all soaked in, I give him the pellets, which he wolfs down, then when they are gone, I refill the dish with the remainder of the pellets to make up to his usual amount.

Very unstressfull :)

Jx

Apache said:
I'm havign to give Alfred anti-biotics at the moment, I'm just giving him a tiny portion of pellets for his tea, and syringing the anti-b on it beforehand, when it is all soaked in, I give him the pellets, which he wolfs down, then when they are gone, I refill the dish with the remainder of the pellets to make up to his usual amount.

Very unstressfull :)

Jx

Slightly O/T - we need more pics of your Horse - I LOVE Arabs!!

hi Angie ....sorry to hear youve got all those battle scars Angie :? :?
hope you re not going to sue :shock:

only just caught this thread .... if i get a bun that struggles with medicine i put it on food .you can squirt it into apple or a small piece of bread or even on to a piece of cabbage and wrap it into a parcel ....much better than being shredded i think :shock: :roll:

Angie

bunnymadhouse said:
hi Angie ....sorry to hear youve got all those battle scars Angie :? :?
hope you re not going to sue :shock:

only just caught this thread .... if i get a bun that struggles with medicine i put it on food .you can squirt it into apple or a small piece of bread or even on to a piece of cabbage and wrap it into a parcel ....much better than being shredded i think :shock: :roll:

Angie

Towel didn't help & neither did different angle & he hates me now :? . So FOOD it is!! :lol:

THING IS ONCE THEY FIGHT AND WIN.....YOUVE NO CHANCE .
I CANT SYRINGE hOPE OR bLUE MY BIG BUNS :roll: HOPE THEY NEVER NEED A SYRINGE FEEDING :?

bunnymadhouse said:
THING IS ONCE THEY FIGHT AND WIN.....YOUVE NO CHANCE .
I CANT SYRINGE hOPE OR bLUE MY BIG BUNS :roll: HOPE THEY NEVER NEED A SYRINGE FEEDING :?

I syringe fed Barley when she was small, but I would struggle now. He's had every dose, but I'm up to 20 mins now trying to give it to him! Gonna try the food - non-fighting route. He eats straight afterwards, so think it might work.

Back