• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boarding

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know anything about the Rabbit and Rodent Hotel in Epping?? I am looking around to try to find somewhere for my precious buns to go when i go away and would prefer to have a recommendation.

My two go to Cheryl's in Norwich when im on holiday, but im guessing you are further away from norwich. Never tried anywhere else im afraid, ring up and ask to go visit it to see what its like and talk to the people there, would give you a good idea what they are like

I'm in Cambridge, so Norwich is a bit of a journey for me yes. Perhaps I will give these people in Epping a ring and have a natter to them.. wish i was closer to Norwich. I am very worried about leaving them at all.. :(

Have you tried Caroline at the Rabbit Residence near Royston? Assuming she has space, it should be close enough for you to go for a look too :wink:

Just had a look at the Rabbit & Rodent hotel website and to be honest I'm not keen for a number of reasons. Maybe I'm just overly judgemental and going along for a chat might persuade me that they are competent at looking after rabbits, just not at writing websites reassuring you of that fact!

They say that hay is the diet basis (good, obviously) but then go on to say that they feed a good quality mix (no mention of it's best to bring your rabbit's normal food, which to me indicates a lack of knowledge of how sensitive a rabbit's digestive system is). It continues that they are fed on other foods including raw potato and lettuce :shock:

They also board ferrets, weasels and reptiles, all of which can be predators to rabbits so I'd like to check that they were a loooong way from them. I'm not keen on them being on the same premises being dealt with by the same people to be honest, I should think that the smell of ferrets nearby and especially on the clothing of the people handling the rabbits, could be very stressful to them.

They also insist that rabbits are treated with xenex spot-on to minimise the 'spread' of flystrike, which to be honest I think misses the point a bit, especially as xenex only kills the maggots whereas rearguard stops the eggs from hatching. I guess requiring it is a bit of an 'insurance policy' from their point of view, but it worries me that it could lull them into a false sense of security and these are chemicals which are actually only recommended for high risk animals.

But I'm afraid my pet hate (pardon the pun!) is that they are constantly referred to as 'bunny rabbits' and on another page (of baby animals FOR SALE!) they have 'pussy cat kittens'. I'm sorry that's just so patronising it really gets my back up :lol:

Mmmmm all extremely good points AlisonA. I was wondering about the mixture that they seem to take, I agree with what you say about it being stressful for the rabbits smelling other animals on the peoples clothes. I also was surprised to see the mixture of veg they give the buns, but had concluded that I would be very firm about what mine should be given.... but on hearing your comments it has made me really think that maybe it's not the place for Daisy and Bertie. I have been over to Caroline's and unfortunately she doesn't really cater for house buns.. Thanks so much for your input on this.

How long ago did you talk to Caroline, she has made some changes in the past month or so and might possibly now be able to accommodate housebuns - worth asking if you can't find anywhere else?

if you dont mind driving across London- I know its a bit of a way...
but mine goes to
rabbitritz.freeserve.co.uk
Cant recommend Karen highly enough!!!! mines there at the moment for her summer holidays.
Although book early she gets really busy.

Back