• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your soiled hay?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Do you just throw it in the bin or do you compost it? I have a special bin where you throw food and plants etc and I am wondering if I can throw that hay which has been in Zion's litter tray in this bin?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Shiv

I stick it in a bin bag bag & put it in/next to the bin. Sometimes, I sneak it into my neighbours bins... Then, the bin men come once a week & REFUSE to take it as it's "garden" rubbish apparently. So I drive soaking black bags, (that burst) in my new car, 15 miles & dispose of it on the muck heap at the stables (& pray no one sees me....)

Then again, when I do a litter tray clean out (daily) it's 2 bin bags, & when i do a FULL hutch/section clean (every other day), it's 4-5 bin bags, That's quite a lot. :? :lol:

I have to put mine out with the rubbish as I have no garden for composting. I'd rather it went to do some good but for now the bin seems to be the only option.

Ours goes in the rather Large Green Bin that the Council take away every 2 weeks, although the bin is never big enough, so some of ends up with the normal rubbish.

BUBBLES said:
Ours goes in the rather Large Green Bin that the Council take away every 2 weeks, although the bin is never big enough, so some of ends up with the normal rubbish.
I asked for another bin so ive got two now :)

Wish we had a green waste bin! :roll:

Once the garden is in some sort of order I'm going to buy some composters to try and get rid of some of my animal waste naturally. At the moment it all goes in biodegradable black bags and out with the normal household waste.

Louise

I have one of the green garden waste bags but I didn't think that rabbit poop was allowed in it so I've been 'hiding' mine at the bottom of the normal bin. :oops: Maybe I ought to make a call to the council to ask

Sue&Sooty said:
I have one of the green garden waste bags but I didn't think that rabbit poop was allowed in it so I've been 'hiding' mine at the bottom of the normal bin. :oops: Maybe I ought to make a call to the council to ask

A lot of councils won't take it as its 'animal waste' although it is recyclable :x Our wouldn't so it went out with the household waste until we got the new black bins and two weekly collection :x :evil: :x :evil:

I used to hide them in bin sacks for the bin - men, but now I'm taking them to the landfill site for "green waste" :eek: It just means in the mean time I have piles of soiled hay in the garden that needs bagging up constantly :shock:

We have a black wheely bin for non recycable rubbish, and a green wheely bin for grass/plants/cardboard, each bin is emptied bi-weekly.
I generally dump soiled litter and hay into the green one, then hide it with cardboard on collection day and they havn't refused to empy it as of yet... touch wood!

I think I'm gonna have to stop putting it our back bin soon as we are about to go over to fortnightly collections and the thought of 6bags of bunny poop sitting in my bin for two weeks makes me ill :?

Can you take it to a normal household tip?

Sue&Sooty said:
6bags of bunny poop sitting in my bin for two weeks makes me ill :?

How do you manage to make 6 bags a week :shock: :shock:

I only made 6 bags a week and that was was for 13 buns (8 hutches)

Back