• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I introduced Binka and Rosie (finally) today.........

Foxy

Young Bun
...............it didn't go well :(

I put them in a pen on neutral territory but Binka kept flying at Rosie and pulling her fur out and going for her face and she just lay there and he still had a go at her when she was still and if she tried to move he attacked her again :( We tried them for 5 mins but I couldn't stand watching him do this anymore so I returned Rosie to her own pen again (I think she was relieved :roll: )

Has anyone any advice - should I have left them together longer or not? :?

Also could someone please tell me if female rabbits spray in their hutch or not cos I have just noticed white spray marks in Rosies hutch and wonder whether Rosie could actually be a Jim and thats why Binka was so nasty with her. She was definitley sold as a female. We will have to try and look underneath her afterwards.

Has Rosie been neutered? If not she needs to be done before you start the bonding.

Not only does it help with hormones/bonding but it stops uterine cancer.

Justine xx

Is it Binka's pen usually? If so he may still see it as his territory, even though you've moved it as he will probably have chinned the pen itself.

Could you try bonding them inside the house in a room neither of them have been in before?

Yes Binka was neuteured about 4 months ago and it was his pen that I put Rosie in (its like a steel hexagon one that can be moved about) They seemed to be getting on fine through the bars of their runs and have had their cages next to each other for a couple of months now. I haven't really got anywhere in the house where I could put them really. I think I will just leave them as they are - they both seem happy enough and they can see and smell each other.

Foxy said:
Yes Binka was neuteured about 4 months ago and it was his pen that I put Rosie in (its like a steel hexagon one that can be moved about) They seemed to be getting on fine through the bars of their runs and have had their cages next to each other for a couple of months now. I haven't really got anywhere in the house where I could put them really. I think I will just leave them as they are - they both seem happy enough and they can see and smell each other.

It seems a shame to give up and have them live alone when if they are both neutered and introduced in the right way there's no reason why it won't work.

Where do you live? Perhaps it worth asking someone nearby or a rescue to bond them for you?

Attacking each other is normal- you need to let them get through that (just make sure there's no blood!)

When you say flying at her, what exactly did he do? It pretty normal for them to mount the other bun (despite being neutered) and they often pluck at the fur on the back of the neck.

If she just laid there it's unlikely a fight would develop as they usually starts with chasing and circling.

Tam

Back