• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zion's first few days at home

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Well I collected Zion on Thursday and I have been letting him settle in. I let him out in the garden on the first day but I have decided to keep him in the hutch and the run for the next week just to make sure things settle down. I have had to pick him up once and he didn't like it much (I got scratched :? ). I tried to do it by his scruff but he doesn't seem to have much.....what do I do? Try and find some? It's hard as well because he is rex his fur is so soft and a bit slippery. Hmmmmmm. Anyway here are a few pics:

Zgarden.jpg
Ziontube.jpg

tube2.jpg
ZionStand.jpg

The cats from next door met Zion for the first time on Thursday night. They were staring at him for ages and then stalked the hutch going round and round. Zion wasn't phased at all and then when both of them arrived he was hopping from one end of the run to the other to say hello. Then one of the cats started rolling over onto his back like he wanted to play. Was sooooo cute. Hehehe I think they are ok with him though. Here are some pics - not great though as I took them with my mobile.

CatStare.jpg
Cats3.jpg

This is puddy tat on his back - see him? hehehe
Cats2.jpg

Will keep you all updated but I thought I would introduce my new bun to you lovely people.

Shiv xXXx
[/img]

He is beautiful! You must be so happy to have him home. :D

With my rexes I've noticed they don't have scruffs, or is they do I've never felt one. :? When picking my two up I first put my hand on the back of their kneck and stroke them, then put one hand on their front and one supporting their bum then I scoop her up and hold her against my body. Then when I put her down I get close to the ground, turn her around so her feet face the floor and put her down. :D

Thank you for that. I will give it a go next time I need to pick him up. How do you do your bum checks? I am not sure how to do them without making him really stressed and risk of dropping him. Some advice would be great. :D

Awww beautiful boy, a real life velveteen rabbit :love: . I dont pick mine up by their scruff, jst sort of hold tht area with 1 hand as it steadies them then put other hand under bum and scoop them up. To begin with I did bum checks by having them on my knee, facing my tummy kind off, and holding their scruff/bum and tipping them back, but found they struggled, so now I hold them against my shoulder (like u would 2 wind a baby) cuz they like tht, 1 hand on scruff of neck and 1 under bum and then quickly hold them away frm u for a mo (make sure u have a tight hold of him), scoop up frm bum again. They dont like it for long and will wriggle fatr 10 secs so I do it then cuddle them in again 4 a mo, then do it again if didnt get gd enough look. Hope this helps :D, its all learning, once hes more used 2 itll be ok. Like Ive realised Harly'll come out 2 b picked up, but Honey wouldnt - he didnt seem 2 like it, but once up liked cuddles. Through trial and error Ive realised that its actually hands coming in front of hutch he doesnt like, if I lift the roof part hes much happier to be lifted.

oh ps Id still be wary of the cat - my neighbours cat is pretty friendly to the boys, but if they were out and the cat came out Id still put them in - jst 1 claw frm a cat, even a playful 1, could take an eye out

Aww, he's gorgoeus! Unlike cats, rabbits mummies don't carry them around by their scruffs so they don't have the loose skin there. Rabbit skin is also much more delicate and can't support the weight of the rabbit.

For rabbits there are instructions here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

You might occationally see a breeder or vet restrain the rabbit by holding the scruff but they never (or shouldn't) let the scruff take any of the body weight.

Awww, gorgeous bunny!

You can't scruff rabbits, their skin isn't designed to take their body weight, it's very delicate. I find mine impossible to pick up in the "one hand supporting bum other hand under chest" way, it's not quick enough and they've got my number and run off before I've even nearly lifted them. To be honest, I have no idea how that method of picking a rabbit up works for anyone, unless they have the slowest bunnies (or the smallest bunnies. Or the biggest hands) in the world. I tend to get down as close to their level as possible, pick them up around their middle and place them along one of my arms and support one side of them against my other arm and the other side against my body.

I have no idea how I'd do a bum check. Fidget would never let me look, I'd probably lose an eye or a finger. Daisy can be turned over if she's secure on/between my knees but it stresses her out so much. And it stresses me out even more. I seriously have no clue how anyone manages to do it regularly. Maybe I'm just a moron... :lol: :roll: :shock: .

Inimical Me said:
. To be honest, I have no idea how that method of picking a rabbit up works for anyone, unless they have the slowest bunnies (or the smallest bunnies. Or the biggest hands) in the world.

Piper just lets me pick him up this way - no problem.

Molly runs around for bit evading being caught and then gives up, hunches down and just lets me pick her up this way too.

Thank you for the scruff info guys. Most useful! I am glad I never actually grabbed his scruff now! This forum is great. I will definately be trying the techniques described the article you gave me Tamsin. I am very much a believer in gradual training with dogs so hopefully it will work with my bunny. I will make a start in a day or so. I still don't know how those techniques allow you to do thorough bum checks though :? will it just come with time and confidence from bunny? I have been checking altho it has been me on all fours on the ground trying to see his bum when he hops away from me - haha neighbours must think I am mad :lol: Also I hear people say their buns can get gurgly tummys etc but I don't know how I will ever hear that unless I have cuddles. Hmmmm.

Anyway thanks again. Had a really good day with him yesterday and I love him to bits but he definately needs a friend. Thank god I now have a job (YAY) so when I get my first pay packet I will researching having another hutch made to extend onto current one. B/f has told me he is doing no more unless I buy him power tools :roll: :lol:

Thanks again

Back