• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a new bun, bringing one home

Dan

Young Bun
Hi,

We are intrested in getting a friend for our male rabbit who lives indoors and obviously want to find him a female friend from rabbit rehome but we have one major concern.

When we bring her home whats the best way to get them introduced? And if he really does reject her what can we do? We cant have her in the house as its pretty much all his and outside is deffinatly not an option for us?

What do you recommend? Take him along when we goto look at a potential friend? What should we look for, what can we do to help things?

We really want a friend for him, while he gets attention from us all night weere still at work during the day and not around at his most active as were sleeping.

Thanks

Even though the territory is his, it's generally the feamles who are more territorial. It's always best to put a female in his territory!

We started with bonding by having new bun in a cage (or run) in the same room as old bun because Smudge could then go up to Twix and have a good old nosey without either having enough contact to fight.

We then started sitting in her area holding him so she could come over and have a look and he could touch her but I could remove him if it went wrong!

After a while I put them in the bath tub together ...somewhere new to both so they could check each other out. Then finally put them in a car ride together to bond them!

It took us 3 weeks before we were happy to leave them to it but there was no fighting! Softly softly is a good way to go!

what about cages and litter trays, do they prefer their own cage and tray or seprate ones.

Once were happy the plan is to let them be as free as he is now, he has the entire hallway to himself with his cage always open, he only goes in to eat, poop and drink, the rest of the time hes out running or destroying some boxes. He then has free range of the house when were around to keep an eye on him, all rooms he has acess to are bunny proof.

what area are you in? i do and should imagine most rescue do a "bonding service" so you dont run into problems like this! contact your local rescue!

To start with have them in separate cages whilst bonding takes place, but keep them side by side so they get used to the smell of each other.

At first Smudge wouldn't use the litter tray as Twix was around...do expect litter habits to go out of the window as they will mark their territory with their droppings but they will eventually return.

At first limit new bun to a small area with her own tray, and keep putting her litter in it til she starts to use it, but also add some of his in so she gets used to his smell. It may be that they will each stick to their own but it's alwasy best to have 2 as mine tend to lie in them so if one needs the loo the other is in the way!!

The best thing to do is give her a litter tray in her cage so she starts to use it in there. Then when you let her out in a small area once she has the hang of it, put it in her area. She may choose her own corner to go in si just put the tray there...buns are so complicated!!

Eventually once the litter training and bonding us underway, they will be able to be in the same cage. I would have a tray outside as well as inside the cage because toilet habits seem to change when a new bun comes on the scene.

I have a 3rd that they don't get on with and wherever he has been she litters to mark her territory ...little madam!!

Does that help?

Were in Luton, I think there is a rescue in dunstable.

at the moment were planning to build a cupboard in his hallway, we wont be getting another bun until we have. we also plan to build in the rabbit accomodation at the end with a removable partition so when times are bad or they need a timeout we can seperate them but remove it to just give them one larger cage for poops and meals.

Also, when a home visit is carried out what do we need to be aware of? What is it you look for? For food and bedding we have golden straw plus hay (green stuff not brown). dry mix, veggies, daily water changes of filtered water (hey, im sure they can taste teh difference) and pleanty of catalogs and boxes to destroy.

I had to rebond my 2 boys 2gether aftr being seperated for 7wks being neutered. A few ppl told me jst 2 put thm in 2gether and let them get on with it but I didn't like this idea, having had 1 injured bunny before their ops from a fight! I tried to rebond them in the garden, and they fought (although not quite so bad as before). Then I got some great help form a lady from a resuce, and they'r back together again. Here's what she told me to do:

Partition their outdoor run into 2 seperate parts, or move them right up close 2gether.

Give them a litter tray each, and swap it over daily(without changing it unless 2 messy, although in this heat Id suggest changing halfway throo day then cleaning at night). this gets each others scent swapped. Also swap their cages/hutches over, for the same reason.

After doing this for a while, take them into a small area which is NEUTRAL territory for both (neutral is VITAL), I took mine in2 the bathroom. Give them a cat basket each at opposite sides. Have food, water and toys for them. Sit with them, let them come out and meet 1 another in their own time. Stroke them and talk gently to them. U can even sit between them to begin with if nervous. Expect some jumping and fur pulling, fur may even come out, this is ok - but no blood should be drawn. This is most likely to happen when 1 ventures in2 the others basket. If u feel it's getting out of hand, part them and firmly say no. Try to distract them with food etc. Aim for 15mins 2gether first day, but dont worry if dont last tht long, and build on that time, until can leave them together overnight. While in there, thoroughly clean and disinfect the males hutch/cage to remove scent. Once confident any squabbles have been settled, try them together in their proper home. i left mine 4 nights to be sure, but really they were ok after 1 or 2.

Remember there will probably be 1 who is dominant and 1 submissive, this is natural and dont worry, unless they just do not get on and 1 is being bullied. i managed to get 2 boys 2gether, so Im sure u'll manage to get ur boy and girl loved up :D

Back