• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hot Weather Alert: Bring Your Outdoor Bunny Inside

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
With record breaking temperature, it's wise to temporary bring the bunnies indoor for the time being. UK is at 38.5 degree C, higher than anywhere around the world.

No bunnies can sustain this degree of heat. The best thing is to bring the bunnies indoor.

As an lesser alternative, you can install giant cooling fan and have it run in the morning, afternoon while they stay out.

Make sure there is extra big air holes for the bunnies to get the wind.

Spray water from the fountain every hour in your back yard to create moist.

Feel cool fruit to cool down the heat level-- watermelon is good as a temporary solution to bring down the heat

Change the water every 2 hr. in the morning and the afternoon regardless where the bunny is indoor or outdoor. Let the tap water run for 1 min. & feel the water temperature has turn cool before changing the water cup

Remember, we don't feel the heat the way they do, they have fur, so it is much hotter for them than it is for us.

Yeah poor things it is so hot....
She mad me spend hours with her yesterday afternoon doing her ears and neck! lol
I have made sure she has everything though...
frozen bottles, shade, lots of cold water and her chin chillers :)
I feel so bad for them in this heat if its unbearable for us what about them!

Happy Hopping said:
No bunnies can sustain this degree of heat. The best thing is to bring the bunnies indoor.
Change the water every 2 hr. in the morning and the afternoon regardless where the bunny is indoor or outdoor. Let the tap water run for 1 min. & feel the water temperature has turn cool before changing the water cup

Remember, we don't feel the heat the way they do, they have fur, so it is much hotter for them than it is for us.

Can I be contrary and just take you up on a couple of points there?
Bringing all outdoor buns in isn't an option for everyone and I don't want people to think they are going to harm their rabbits by leaving them out. Mine are actually coping pretty well and they have shade and a bit of a breeze. There is simply no way I could bring them inside.

In Kent we have a major water problem. We will probably have standpipes by the autumn, so running taps for a minute is just too wasteful!! Also, for humans it is actually better to drink ROOM TEMPERATURE water as if you drink cold water your body has to heat it up and that can actually cause your body to burn more energy and create heat. I see no reason why it should be different for rabbits :D

Ah, but Happyhopping is from the US where air con is normal, in England it is rare to find air con. Where I have Sharon in the house it is cooler, because I've got her at the back of the house with the curtains closed and the fans on.

My vet Mel is from Australia and she was struggling in the heat, she said it does get hotter in australia, but they are better equiped for it. Nothing in this country is designed for drastic weather changes. So our roads are melting, aspparently it's something like 1400 people are destined to die today because of the heat. you just can't get away for it.

SOAD said:
Nothing in this country is designed for drastic weather changes. So our roads are melting, aspparently it's something like 1400 people are destined to die today because of the heat. you just can't get away for it.
Wow thats a really morbid thought :?

Im lucky in that my bunnies are already indoors on the cool hall tiles and loving it :roll:
With the babies too id be paranid with them outside i think.

Benji hates smooth floors (tiles/lino etc) but is lying just off the edge of the rug on the tiles today :lol: brave lad :roll:

Ive got the rest of the week off to keep an eye on animals as everyone is on holiday and Mich the dog has been sick the last few days in this weather so I wouldnt be anywhere else!!

Like many people it is cooler in my garden than indoors, the breeze and shade keeps it pleasent although still hot for us. For ARC with the number of rabbits we have it would be impossible to bring everything indoors without causing major problems to both the animals and us humans. I have one foster rabbit currently living indoors due to ARC being overful, she takes every opportunity to escape into the garden she gets as it is far cooler.

I believe everyone should be able to make their own risk assessment and take the actions they seem appropriate.

My Bracelet started melting yesterday!! Theres like a erruption where its melted :shock:. I wouldnt dream of bringing T inside, Its roasting in the house, and outside in the shade shes cool and is fine. Well she has been, but its not warm and its raining today :lol: Xx

Spacegirl said:
In Kent we have a major water problem. We will probably have standpipes by the autumn, so running taps for a minute is just too wasteful!! Also, for humans it is actually better to drink ROOM TEMPERATURE water as if you drink cold water your body has to heat it up and that can actually cause your body to burn more energy and create heat. I see no reason why it should be different for rabbits :D

But it's the same principle, say if you were working out on the step machine for 20 min., you would drink some cool water, to relief the heat as you are hot, you won't drink normal room temp. water.

Over here, it's quite hot, so I drink water that I put in the fridge.

But running the water for 1 min. is a waste, in the spring and summer, what I did is I have 2 big pot, it catch the running water at the bottom, even if I use the water to wash my hand. When the pot are 3/4 full, I dump it outside to the grass so I don't have to fountain it. Since I have to fountain the lawn once every 3 days anyway, the water that I catch from the pot help cut down the water I would have use to fountain the lawn.

SOAD said:
I can't do it on this one forum, but I will report the post and ask

something like 1400 people are destined to die today because of the heat. you just can't get away for it.

We only need to temporary sticky it for a week.

1400 die in 1 day? You're kidding? Can they try to drink lots of water to cool the body temperature down?

you guys are lucky with a cool shady garden, its so hot even in the few little shady bits, and no breeze at all. thankfully the house has stayed cool so ive brought my bun inside. i would rather have him out but he just lays down and gets too hot. inside people coming round keep an eye when im not there so i feel better. if he was outside i dont think he'd get enough attention in this heat. i worry about flies too, theres so many around here.

Yep, it's 9.30 pm here now and it's 27 o C inside and 26 o C outside.

There are lots of things you can do to help though. Cover your rabbits run with a sheet early in the day so that the sun doesn't hit it, that will help it stay shady but still let the air circulate.

Put tin foil or white sheet over the hutch roof as the dark roof felt really absorbs the heat.

A paving slab in the shade is good to make a cool spot to lie down.

Make sure there is a spare water bottle and if poss provide a bowl.

Frozen bottles to lean against are good, they cool the surrounding air too even if your bun doesn't lie next to them.

Hi,

I've put bowls in with all my bunnies as they just can't get enough water from the bottles. You can see the look of relief when they drink from the bowls. I still leave the bottles but they are all going for the bowls.

Maureen

My garden is quite shaded and a lot cooler than the house, even with fans going and windows open. They also seem quite perky and happy despite the heat (and me drenching them every few hours)

My lot have the best spot in my garden, loads of shade and a gentle breeze a fair amount of the time. In fact it gets so warm in my house that I keep going and sitting with the buns to cool down!! :lol:

They also have 2 frozen water bottles to lay next to and plenty of water too.

Happy Hopping said:
SOAD said:

something like 1400 people are destined to die today because of the heat. you just can't get away for it.

1400 die in 1 day? You're kidding? Can they try to drink lots of water to cool the body temperature down?

It's always the old people that die, a lot of old men go out in the sun in their suit and ties and old ladies seem to wear cardis. I was waiting in the post office last week and the old women in front of me in the queue who was wearing a massive coat just faited, she pulled all the signs down with her. The most awfull think about it was I just burst out laughing :oops: . I tried so hard not to as well, I laugh at the most inconvenient times over some terrible things :oops: :oops:

SOAD said:
Happy Hopping said:
SOAD said:

It's always the old people that die, a lot of old men go out in the sun in their suit and ties and old ladies seem to wear cardis. I was waiting in the post office last week and the old women in front of me in the queue who was wearing a massive coat just faited, she pulled all the signs down with her. The most awfull think about it was I just burst out laughing :oops: . I tried so hard not to as well, I laugh at the most inconvenient times over some terrible things :oops: :oops:

OMG!

I saw a woman the other day wearing a jumper and i was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back