• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed Please

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
As some have seen I have 2 baby bunnies that arrived unexpectedly.

They are now 20 days old (3 weeks) and so far seem fit and healthy but I do have some questions for those 'in the know'

Ive read up as much as I can but I was wondering..
If theyre not suposed to eat greens untill they are 6 months old does that mean that they cant eat grass either? Surely many do when people keep them outside?
My bunnies are indoor but have an outside hutch and run and Im sure the littlies would love a bit more room to play in a week or so as they are already quite adventurous?

Also.. i am still very much undecided at to whether we can keep them or not and I guess a lot will depend on what sex they are.
At the moment they are happily living with Mum and step dad (not the father) and although I was wary about leaving my boy in he has been great and is grooming and cuddling them etc

But i was reading that you should never leave the babies with their mother after 3 months old. If they were both girls and did stay (which is a big consideration at the moment) could they not all live happily together if they were all neutered??

AND.. lol
Im a bit confised on this one..
What age do they become sexually active and what age can they be neutered??

If it turned out that they were both girls (my boy has been neutered years ago) could they ll stay together for the duration and not have to be seperated??

Hope someone can clear this up for me.
Thanks guys!!

I'm not sure what is the normal recommendation in this situation, but Sue&Sooty had an unexpected litter, they were both girls and as far as I know the dad was re-introduced when the litter was a few weeks old, they are both girls and they have all stayed together since :?

Yep dad was neutered before she even knew the bun was pregnant, so from recollection he had been 'done' for about 7 weeks before re-introduction.

Benji&Evie said:
As some have seen I have 2 baby bunnies that arrived unexpectedly.

They are now 20 days old (3 weeks) and so far seem fit and healthy but I do have some questions for those 'in the know'

Ive read up as much as I can but I was wondering..
If theyre not suposed to eat greens untill they are 6 months old does that mean that they cant eat grass either? Surely many do when people keep them outside?
My bunnies are indoor but have an outside hutch and run and Im sure the littlies would love a bit more room to play in a week or so as they are already quite adventurous?

Hiya my litter of six copy what mum eats and i've had no problems eating greens and grass however I do monitor the amount they eat. But rabbits in the wild grow up on grass so its natural for them. If there started on grass theres no problem, this is what I have found however. Mine love being on the grass they get even more excited and race round colliding once in a while with each other and feasting on the new tasty stuff that mums eating.

Like anything you introduce to rabbits and babies, introduce new things including grass slowly.

Thanks guys. Had a chat with one of our vet nurses tonight who used to breed bunnies.

She said that I can let them out on the grass after 5 weeks but monitor the amount of grass they eat. and as you said, introduce anything else slowly but NOT lettuce.

I hadnt realised that boy bunnies can be neutered a lot earlier than girls so if they are both girls we will be fine as benji is neutered and if one is a boy then it will also be neutered asap

..its looking like these two are staying isnt it :shock:

Alison is right about what happened with me.

I eneded up with a surprise family! They had managed to 'do the deed' a week before Sooty was de-plumbed!! :shock: :roll:

I introduced dad slowly when they were about 3 weeks old but he was such a loving dad (and still is :love:) that I they all eneded up living together fairly quickly.

I got the sex of the babies checked at 7 weeks and they both turned out to be girls and they have all been happily living together ever since. :D

As for the veg situation, they just used to have a nibble on whatever mum had and weaned themselves really. Sure I used to keep and eye to make sure they didn't over do it but mum Holly took great care of them, she still does :D She sorts out any squabbles between the sisters. It's so funny to watch :lol: :lol: Mum does the telling off when they're misbehaving and Dad does the comforting of the one who is being picked on!! :love:

It's really great watching them as you can clearly see the family roles that they all play.

My little ones have been eating grass virtually from the moment they opened their eyes

Back