• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE - Piper's "bits" are fine

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Sorry for the close-up graphics, but when I picked up Piper to do his bum check he has a pinkish area that looks unusual. Any ideas what this is? :(

19July2006002.jpg

19July2006001.jpg

Its difficult to work out where it is from the sangle of the pic! Is that his bottom? Is the fluffy lighter bit to the right of the screen his tail?

Sorry - my bf took the pic and I didn't expect it to be quite so close up.

The whiter fur is his tummy. His tail is the darker fur at the bottom of the pic.

Hmm Im still a bit lost anatomically!
Does it look like a injury? Is it his anal/penis area? He's neutered right? Sometimes the scrotum doesnt shrink all the way back and can envelope the penis. Due to the heat the saggy skin (sometimes male buns have a lot of excess skin down there :!: ) sticks to the area, if he'll let you bathe the area with some tepid water and have better look. If your still worried maybe pop him to the vets in the morning?

bizzy_vicki said:
Hmm Im still a bit lost anatomically! Does it look like a injury?

No

bizzy_vicki said:
Is it his anal/penis area? He's neutered right?

Yes and yes
bizzy_vicki said:
Sometimes the scrotum doesnt shrink all the way back and can envelope the penis. Due to the heat the saggy skin (sometimes male buns have a lot of excess skin down there :!: ) sticks to the area, if he'll let you bathe the area with some tepid water and have better look. If your still worried maybe pop him to the vets in the morning?

OK - Have taken a pic from a bit further away so you can see it a bit better
19July2006005.jpg

Looks perfectly normal to me :?
Just a bit of inner anal tissue exposed. HOT WEATHER can cause that!!
Blood vessels all expand so the ones in his bum will too!!

Janex

oh ok, I had guessed kind of where it was!
Hmmmmm, not anywhere near where a saggy scrotum would be, not that it looks like Piper has a saggy one anyway :oops: :lol:
It does look very swollen, has he been mounting at all? Is he drinking well? Not dehydrated? I'm struggling to think of what it could be to tell you the truth, it looks engorged as if he's either been 1.mounting, 2.rubbing his bottom on the ground or 3.caught it on something. If it still looks similar in the morning I'd perhaps get your vet to have a look. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful :D

bizzy_vicki said:
not anywhere near where a saggy scrotum would be,

Now I'm really confused - where is his scrotum then? :oops:

Has anyone got a pic of what a neutered male bunny's bits should look like - I need edumacating. :oops: :oops:

Jack's-Jane said:
Looks perfectly normal to me :?
Just a bit of inner anal tissue exposed. HOT WEATHER can cause that!!
Blood vessels all expand so the ones in his bum will too!!

Janex

Hope so - it's just that it wasn't like this yesterday - there were no pink bits showing. :(

Ah, I was looking at the wrong 'bit' :oops:
I can see that his.....Errrrrrhummmm..... willy :oops: looks a little sore.
He may have a slight infection. I would ask your Vet to check him over.

Janex

Aliandbuns said:
bizzy_vicki said:
not anywhere near where a saggy scrotum would be,

Now I'm really confused - where is his scrotum then? :oops:

Has anyone got a pic of what a neutered male bunny's bits should look like - I need edumacating. :oops: :oops:

his scrotum would be either side, but not directly near the penis, either side of the darkest area. His has obviously shrunk right back after castration anyway, or it would be quite obvious.

hi ali..looks a little sore and swollen..is there any discharge? could just be down to the heat but if it's still swollen in the mornign I would get a vet to have a look...as already said you could try bathing it with a little cooled boiled water...may be similar to a varicose vein and the heat is annoying it :?

It looks a little better today so I have just bathed it and will see how it is in the morning. If it's no better I will take him to the vets.

He doesn't seem at all bothered by it and is his usual feisty little self. :lol:

Glad Piper's sore willy ( :oops: ) is getting better :D

I am sure he is so pleased you posted a piccie of his 'little man' on RU!!

:wink: :lol: :lol:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Glad Piper's sore willy ( :oops: ) is getting better :D

I am sure he is so pleased you posted a piccie of his 'little man' on RU!!

:wink: :lol: :lol:

Janex

My little man's little man :lol:

I am still confused about the male bunny anatomy - if I do take him to the vet then I will be asking lots of embarrassing questions - I really can't see where the heck his scrotum has gone to. :? :oops: :lol:

Back