• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

for those of you with family groups...

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
How did you handle hormones/spaying- ie) did you have to seperate them quite early on, then get them back together months later on neutral territory etc?

Not all my females are neutered :oops: We're working on it :oops:

The mum and two daughters have always lived together, never been split and will all be spayed together

My two brother and sister pairs were seperate as they're all related, the boys lived together until they fell out and the two girls lived with mum (now @ Rainbow Bridge)

Boys got neutered but still didn't get on, so after 8 weeks I re paired them with their twin sister. (Four surviving babies-two sets of twins)

My other mum and daughter lived together until they fell out, had mum's son neutered then paired son and daughter leaving mum single

My last three was two boys and a girl, until one male started picking on his sister, so he's separate until neutered, other male and female (brother and sister) still together, Male's infertile

Hope that helps a little bit, its very confusing 'cos most of my buns are related in some vague way :oops:

Sugar & Spice (2 sisters - I got given them by a neighbour at 4 weeks old after their mum died) - They lived with Caramel, Joey & Smirnoff, but we separated Spice when her & Sugar started fighting. They were separate for about 6 weeks I think - then re-united 2 weeks after spaying - though that wasn't that easy!!! They are fine now. Spaying did Spice the world of good & she is now one of my friendlier buns.

My largest group are 4 females one male and non of the females are spayed, it's mum two daughters and another female and then Wilbur. I have had to split the group before when lavender became ill but they went back together no problem. I have discussed spaying with the vet and she recommended having all 4 girls done at once so as not to split the bond to much, but im afraid i whimped out as i couldn't bare the though of 4 of my girls all being ill at the same time. I wish i hadn't now as milly may have something wrong with her and she is having to be seperated tommorow for a scan and possible op.

thanks guys...so if you have a couple of sex siblings what sort of age would they start fighting would you say?

Is it different for males and females?

They might not but hormones kick in from 4 months plus usually. Spice & Sugar were 6 months old when they got spayed.

My lot dont' really fight they will have a chase no and agian but nothing major, i have two brothers together as well and they have only fought once. It really depends on the nature of the rabbit.

thank you, sorry if my questions seem rather cryptic!
I am not planning on keeping any of the foster bunns, but I'll have them for about 4-6 more weeks and I was just thinking if I did decide I couldn't bear to part with them when the time comes then I just wanted to know what the situation was really.

There are 4 of them, all male apparently (sexed at 4 weeks so may not be accurate.)

I did have 2 sisters when I was younger who lived very happily together all their lives, unspayed- they never had fights, but i think with males it seems it is more urgent to get neutering done asap to stop fighting hormones kicking in?

I had my boys neuterd at 8 months, thats when they had there one fight and since then nothing! they now lice with two girls mum and daughter.

I kept Maisie and Taz together till about 12 weeks old, then seperated them, got them both 'done' at about 5-6 months old and sucessfully rebonded them with no problem

My female siblings have never fought at all :?

My boys began fighting at about 16 weeks :roll:

Back