• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I neuter Jack?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Hey all, a quick question - my little Nethie Jack gets quite randy (Charlie has been neutered already so has no interest) and she keeps humping him!
She's old enough but I was just wondering if there is any benefit other than her not being such a randy little ******!! Only I know with boys it's an easy operation but girls it's quite major surgery and I'm worried!!!
Any ideas as to what I should do?
Oh by the way in case you hadn't picked up, Jack is a girl

I saw my vet the other day and she said if she had a doe she'd definitely spay her as it reduces drastically the chance of womb cancer and calms them down mood wise. I'm going to get mine done as soon as her vaccinations are over (feel guilty every time I look at her tho :cry: )

Found this on the RWA site, will show you how important it is to get done :D

Female rabbits

Having female rabbits (does) spayed is even more important. Most females become territorial and aggressive from sexual maturity onwards (4-6 months). They have repeated false pregnancies, and may growl at, scratch and bite their owners as well as attacking other rabbits. Keeping two females together - even if they are sisters - can make things worse. Spaying reduces and sometimes eliminates these behavioural problems.

Spayed females are likely to live longer then their unspayed sisters. Up to 80% of unspayed female rabbits develop uterine cancer by 5 years of age. Females who are not spayed when young and in good health may have to undergo the operation in later life if pyometra (uterine infection) or cancer develops, although usually it is too late and the cancer has already spread.

Spaying is a bigger operation than castration. It's usually performed when the rabbit is at least 4 or 5 months old. The uterus and both ovaries are removed via the abdomen.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm

just in case anyone is interested I had little Jackie done today and she's feeling very sorry for herself... poor little tinker. Charlie is keeping her company and making her feel at home as she was very scared a the vet.

Thanks for ll your advice - let's hope this solves the humping"!!

Aw, well done - the scarey part is over! Just have lots of tempting nibbles ready for her for when she feels up to it and within a day or so she should be feeling much bouncier again!

Well done, hope she recovers well. Pippa enjoyed grated carrot and cucumber until she regained her appetite.

Aw well done! :thumb: Keep her nice and warm and tempt her with lots of herbs and any favourite treats until she gets her appetite back!

AMETHYST

Back