• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!! Maggots!!!

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

We were both about to leave the house this morning when Harry noticed maggots in China and Rocket’s pen. We hurriedly swept them up and thoroughly sprayed the area with Raid and then disinfectant before letting China and Rocket back out. We didn’t have time to do anything else.

I have called the vets and they recommend Rear Guard, but they only have 2 bottles (i.e. 2 doses). I’ll pick these up after work. How long does one dose last? I’ll obviously treat China and Rocket tonight but the others I’ll have to treat later.

Aside from cleaning them out thoroughly, treating them with Rear Guard and preventing flies as much as possible, is there anything else I could be doing? It’s just such a complete and horrible shock.

Thanks guys.

AMETHYST

Did you check China and Rocket over?

Lavender spray/drops/oil around the edges of the pen, helps deter flies, fly sticky papers out the way of the buns

I've found you don't need a whole dose ofr one rabbit, I can do three buns with one packet (obviously small ones) it lasts about 10 weeks I think.

If there's any "risky areas" in their enclosure, I'd clean that bit everyday - litter trays etc.

I think Rear Guard lasts 10 weeks ish.

The maggots you find in poo are usually laid by different flies., these are usually not the ones which lay eggs on 'meat' including rabbits.

Ok... I'm going to get 3 Rear Guards (they ave 3 now) and use half on each rabbit. I'll do bum checks first as well.

Thanks so much for all your help. God it's SO worrying!!! :shock:

AMETHYST

It is very worrying. I'm paranoid about flystrike at the moment, too! Both mine have their Rearguard on and I'm cleaning out the poo corner every day at the moment, yesterday I did it twice! If there are any excess caecotrophs, I'm removing them straightaway, as well. There's not a lot else we can do, is there?

All the bunnies are fine and no more maggots thank goodness! They're all getting "rearguarded" on Friday. Phew!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

AMETHYST

With the rearguard, all you have to do is make sure all the fur on their back end is wet.

It lasts 10 weeks.

The sponge applicator thing is carp cos nothing comes out without really pressing on it an it gets all clogged with fur. I found the best way to do it was pump it on the back of my hand so I have a mound of foam and then wipe on the bun. :D

toffee said:
With the rearguard, all you have to do is make sure all the fur on their back end is wet.

It lasts 10 weeks.

The sponge applicator thing is carp cos nothing comes out without really pressing on it an it gets all clogged with fur. I found the best way to do it was pump it on the back of my hand so I have a mound of foam and then wipe on the bun. :D

Thanks for the advice, I will do it that way rather than with the sponge.

So, how many bunnies does one pot do? I have 6, three small, two medium and one medium-large.

Thanks!

AMETHYST

You have to get rear guard from the vets and costs about £15 from the vets at pets at home but its so worth it.

About a month ago we lost our Jovi to fly strike, it was on that really really hot saturday, she was fine Friday and then Saturday was quite still, just thouygh it was the heat until we checked her at the end of the day, it happend so fast and the sight will haunt me forever. It really was an awful thing to see.

Now Ellie who lives inside gets twice daily checks, if hes got any mess its immedialy cleaned. Hes got rear guard on, regular tray cleans, fly killer paper by his cage, fly repellant near his open window and it seems to work, I see about 1 fly in the house in a week. Its the Vapona ones from tescos, you slide them open and they emmit a lemon scent.

Remember though that the flys can simply lay there eggs on plants and objects and all it neeeds is for the rabbit to brush past to pick them up. They then sit in their nice dense fur so when you check have a little route around.

its like an obsession, i keep checking my poor bun over, theres so many flies about here, had to move him indoors. he had an op last friday so he has cuts on him so im even more worried!!! my vet didnt want to rearguard, he did say use a lot of fly repellent stuff on cages and runs and the house. i hvae fly repellent for the horses that i spray on old towels that i hang over one end of the cages, stinks but the flies dont like it either! and it was this year of all years that they ban the citronella in insect repellents!

Back