• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I stop using newspaper?.....

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
My bun really loves ripping up the newspaper in his cage (especially when I've just cleaned it out). Now that I'm planning to get him a dog crate I'd prefer it if my room didn't look like a tip anymore.

So do you think it would be best to continue using newspaper? If not what is the best option for lining the cage (if at all).

I'm going to try again with litter trays (in his new crate) to see if he will use them. At the moment he only pees in 2 corners of his crate (one is definitely his main pee corner), and he poops all over his crate! I prefer to use bob martins paper based litter (for my rats litter tray) - what would you recommend as my bun has been using newspaper (he used to have shavings when he was a hutch bunny, but I personally don't like shavings)?

He also loves to pee and poop (and sleep and eat) in his hay box (it's just a cardboard box).

Oh and he has a copy of the yellow pages to rip up too.

:D

As a foster home for a rescue I often have the problem of having an unlitter trained rabbit in doors, in these cases I will put 2 or 3 trays in the crate until I can work out which one they will use. Any stray poos then get added to the litter tray which has the most poos in it. As the rabbit starts to use less of an area as a toilet area I then slowly remove the trays until they use one. It is rare after a two months that I have not got some control.

I dont always use paper, although providing them with lots of other things to do (instead of shredding paper) is essential. Sometimes rabbits shred paper as they are bored.

Back