• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is my cage big enough ??

bexn2kids

Warren Scout
hey all when i had thumper from his old owner he was one of those indoor rabbit cages, with a big black tray at the bottom. After looking at your houses for your rabbits i dont think the cage is big enough , i am lreaning alot about rabbits as this is my first rabbit and i didnt want to see him ill treated by his old owner. they got his cage from pets at home when he was a small rabbit. can some one please tell me what the min size for a cage for a dwarf lop.Also what size crate would i need to buy if i got one ?? is this the best options for a indoor rabbit tc luv becks xx

I have the 42" dog crate and it is huge!! I've got by boyfriend's dad to puta shelf and ramp in it to split it into 2 halves. It gives Homer plenty of space and he's not a dwarf lop, he's quite a bit bigger than my dwarf lop. I open it when I'm at home and he runs around and in and out of it, but when he's in it he can run around and stretch.

I have a 48" crate and although it's big, I'm not sure I would want to keep a rabbit shut in it for long periods, even with a second level, but perhaps that's just cos I'm used to my two having free run of the kitchen/diner :)

If Thumper gets plenty of time out of his cage, then either a 42" or 48" crate would be fine.

Does the RSPCA recommend 5'x2'x2' or have I made that up? :?

My buns "cage" is the dining room! That said they spend most of the day under the table in one spot snoozing so I think so long as you give thumper lots of exersie in the morning and evening (Jack used to get 2 hours on a morning and 5 hours out on an evening when he was a smallish dog cage) he should be fine in cage where he can hop about a bit, stand fully and lay out fully without being near the top/side of the cage. If you can't give thumper that much free range exersise then I would fence off an area of a room as I don't think any bun should be caged without HOURS of free exersise!!

bexn2kids said:
hey all when i had thumper from his old owner he was one of those indoor rabbit cages, with a big black tray at the bottom. After looking at your houses for your rabbits i dont think the cage is big enough , i am lreaning alot about rabbits as this is my first rabbit and i didnt want to see him ill treated by his old owner. they got his cage from pets at home when he was a small rabbit. can some one please tell me what the min size for a cage for a dwarf lop.Also what size crate would i need to buy if i got one ?? is this the best options for a indoor rabbit tc luv becks xx

whats the measurements? is he only in it to sleep? or is he in it all day?

The RSPCA do recommend 5'2' for a hutch but as most house rabbits get more time out than a hutch rabbit you don't necessarily need that. You need to be sensible when it comes to housing. There is no need to splash out on a 5'x2' cage if your bun is free range all the time.

I think it's a good idea all rabbits have a safe area like the sleeping compartment on a hutch they can hide in if the want (it could be cage/box/shelf/table/chair). The size of the rest of the area depends how much exercise they get else where, if they are out 24/7 you probably don't need anything else. If they are going to be 'caged' for part of the day then obviously they need room in that caged area to stretch out/play/eat/use a litter tray etc.

Tam

i will go measure in a min , thumper is in his cage when the children are around then he is out from about 6 at night till i go a bed at 10

I bought a 'Tommy 120' from P@H. It measures 47x23x22 with two front doors and a large opening top for access. My bunny loves it - too much in fact as I'm struggling to get her out of it! It fits a large corner litter tray in and leaves space to stretch out and hop about a bit. Pippa's a medium size bunny and I feel she has enough room in the cage, combined with exercise out. I like it also because it contains the hay and poop and it's easy to clean out.

Further to my earlier post, the buns get loads of exercise and are only in it when I'm at work whilst I'm in the middle of bunny proofing then they are out from 6 til I go to bed! They have loads of space and they use the balcony too...in fact they never want to come in! (the balcony is fully closed off- no waythey could fall off it or jump over it!!)

Back