• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scent glands - a bit worried!!

toffee

Mama Doe
I had to give Theodore a bit of a clean this morning - his bottom was a bit dirty inside :? so have cleaned it and put rear guard on him just in case.

His slits by his bottom looked quite clogged up so I cleaned these too. The secretions were reddy brown - are they supposed to be this colour??

Also his tail is stained a bit yellow. Should I be worried about this?

He is a lionhead so very fluffy underneath - what's the best way to deal with this? Should I trim round his bottom? I'm frightened I will hurt him. :(

I'm really not sure but maybe it's worth just giving your vet a quick call and speaking to them and ask a veterinary nurse what they think!

I'm stumped!! :?

Hiya

Yes the gunk from the scent glands is an orangey brown colour and VERY SMELLY!!
If he has a bit of wee stain on his tail you can wash it with cool water and a hypo-allergenic shampoo. Check the inside of his legs too. If they are stained or damp I would ask your Vet to check him over. SOMETIMES a Bun with a sore back/hips cant get themself into the correct position to wee so they get stained/wet and eventually sore.
Also check his hocks. If the fur on them is thin and the skin very dark pink/red this is an early sign of 'sore hocks' anther cause of a Bun not adopting the correct position to wee.
He is probably just a mucky Bunny and has no physiological problem at all but if you are worried ask your Vet for advice :D

Janex

Thanks Jane!! :D

Is baby shampoo ok to use?? If he needs a bottom bath I usually use a diluted solution of baby shampoo frothed up.

I checked his legs and hocks this morning and they are fine. :D
He had a full bottom MOT this morning!!!!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

He was definately not impressed that I was poking at him for 15 mins with various types of damp cotton wool this morning!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can the scent glands attract flies?

I know he is a mucky bun - I stroked him one day and discovered he had wee on his face!! :eek: :roll: :shock: :lol:

toffee said:
I know he is a mucky bun - I stroked him one day and discovered he had wee on his face!! :eek: :roll: :shock: :lol:

:shock: :shock:
:? :?
:roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol:

Baby shampoo is fine!!
The scent glands are no more likely to attract flies than Buns Bum. As he is a mucky chap you'll just have to be ultra-vigilant and do numerous Bum checks a day.

Janex

This morning one of his glands was all clogged up. It reeked!! Made me feel sick!! :?

Well I tried cleaning it with damp cotton wool but the gunk is stuck fast! Does anyone know what I can use to clean him that will dissolve it?

Jane,

What is the best thing to lubricate the sebum out of the scent glands with that will be OK if Loopy decides to give it a wash? Hers need doing now.

Adam

Back