• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fly strike?? Questions

jay

Mama Doe
Jack and Milly are indoor buns so I've not before worried about this. However since its been hot there is always a fly or two in the dining room buzzing about near the bunnies (literally two!!). Now this was my fault - they were overdue a litter tray clean out and it was smelly and full of poo. They don't really ever sit in it and I would never normally leave it like that (I had to go to casulty sunday afternoon so couldn't clean them out until last night). Anyway I know very little about flystrike and want to know if I should be worried and what to do to prevent it.

I get the odd fly in the Bunny room - their window is open all the time. they always tend to fly near the windows (once litter trays clean), so I have some fly/mite spray that can be sprayed on the buns (from a pet shop) - I spray it on the window instead & it seems to kill most of the flies that land on them.

You can get rear- guard from your vets. I got if for about £10, & they need treating every 10 weeks. However since there are now 20 buns at mine!!, I'll just be working extra hard to keep the litter tray/hutches clean!! I check the buns every day (the Giants get a thorough check over, cos Barley has had a mucky-bum before)

I believe that it's only blowflies and bluebottles that are the problem, I put flie strips up, and I use rear guard on my vunrable buns.

Flypapers, hung well away from the buns and secured safely are good..Rearguard if worried...Lavender water /oil wiped round outside of cages /litter trays and window sills deters flies and , of course..clean them out throughly and check them ALL over every day

Angie65 said:
I get the odd fly in the Bunny room - their window is open all the time. they always tend to fly near the windows (once litter trays clean), so I have some fly/mite spray that can be sprayed on the buns (from a pet shop) - I spray it on the window instead & it seems to kill most of the flies that land on them.

You can get rear- guard from your vets. I got if for about £10, & they need treating every 10 weeks. However since there are now 20 buns at mine!!, I'll just be working extra hard to keep the litter tray/hutches clean!! I check the buns every day (the Giants get a thorough check over, cos Barley has had a mucky-bum before)

What's that fly/mite spray called Angie? And where can you get it??

toffee said:
Angie65 said:

What's that fly/mite spray called Angie? And where can you get it??

Will look tonight. It's nowt special, I just spray it on the windows - though mostly it's the little flies it kills.

I think they do it in all, I know of people who have clean dry bunnies and it's happen to them. I think unfortunetly no bun is safe :(

Thanks Tree. Hope you're not too hung over! :lol:

Blooming flies.
Does Xenex stop them? I've used it for fleas & it's fab.
Just worried the buns would clean it off each other! :roll:

xSarahx said:
Thanks Tree. Hope you're not too hung over! :lol:

Blooming flies.
Does Xenex stop them? I've used it for fleas & it's fab.
Just worried the buns would clean it off each other! :roll:

Well I ended up driving to the gg, so I could only have a pint :( :lol: .

Don't know actually, I could do with knowing more about the fly stuff, as I don't use anything :oops: . Apparently bunnybasics do something, but I've not looked at their site yet.

I always recommend Dynamite as a fly repellant if anyone asks now... brilliant stuff! Can be sprayed onto buns. I bought it for that and to spray on their hutches... when I saw how well it worked on the hutches I started spraying it around my windows and haven't seen a fly in the house since :D :D

Can get it from here -> http://www.doghealth.co.uk/dyna-mit.htm

That sounds good!

Thanks xEmmax (sXe?)

I might give something a try in the mean time. I burn citronella essential oil in the house as it naturally repels insects & it smells nice. They use it in dog & cat flea collars.
Can anyone see any problems with me diluting it with a little water & spritzing it on the buns?

xSarahx said:
That sounds good!

Thanks xEmmax (sXe?)

I might give something a try in the mean time. I burn citronella essential oil in the house as it naturally repels insects & it smells nice. They use it in dog & cat flea collars.
Can anyone see any problems with me diluting it with a little water & spritzing it on the buns?

This has cintronella in it :D (along with loads of other things) It says to use 10ml of Dynamite to 1 litre of water then 1 spray onto each animal. Probably the same if you're using just citronella oil.
Apparently it lasts for up to 4 weeks, but I do it every week to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the information!

Lavender water /oil wiped round outside of cages /litter trays and window sills deters flies and , of course..clean them out throughly and check them ALL over every day

I like the lavender water idea - I've got some. Don't like using none natural products thought. I can check Jack over with no problems - I tripped over and nearly dropped him last night, he just looked up at me and snuggled back into my arms!!! Milly however is impossible to catch never mind check over. She is so tame now she comes right up to me when I call her over - we nearly bumped noses yesterday but still won't let me actually touch her. Anyway, back to the point....how do I get round not checking Milly?

I'm afraid you really should try to check her. if she is hard to hold try wrapping her in a towel..saves you getting scratched and limits her ability to scramble free. Have you anyone else who could help to hold her while you have a look at her "down below"?

Back