• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freeds email response re: his "horny" female

mtoyah

Warren Scout
This is the response I got from Steve who wanted a buck for his horny female. Note his comments about the neutered females turning nasty and killing neutered males.......

"i appreciate your concern however i am a registered breeder who has a list of new good homes waiting for my next litter. i have bred rabbits for many years and know my animals well,i only have 4 females at present and i understand your reasons for your concerns however i assure you my animals are better treat than allot of rabbits out there,unlike many breeders i dont cull my elder stock or kittens that dont meet the standered and i only breed my females when i have people waiting who have been to my stud and have been vetted to make sure they want a furry friend,unfortunatly i only keep one buck at a time due to the fact they can get aggressive when they smell each other and my lovey chap passed away due to an illness,my particular doe that i would like mating enjoys being a mother,it is natural to her to breed although it is only once a year to get her spayed now would only confuse her,iv tried it with does befor her and ended up with the poor rabbit turning nasty and even killing there male neutered run mates
as i said thankyou for your concern and good luck persueing your animal charity work but please think again befor e-mailing strangers befor asking the situation and laying down the law on animals that you dont know how they are or know the animals persanalities

steve
brc breeder

These people infuriate me!!!

I wasn't laying down the law...I was very polite and naturally anyone that claims to be a good breeder and then refers to their doe as "horny" has me concerned.....

Females killing males??? Does he not go through a bonding process? Does he know rabbits AT ALL??!!!

Actually, I think he has a point. It is quite possible that his rabbits are very well cared for and much as I don't agree with rabbit breeding myself it sounds like he takes their welfare seriously. I think his original ad was poorly worded and gave a bad imprtession of him.
*ducks and runs*

I think they sound well cared for but I'm not keen on his response that neutered females get confused and kll the males....or is that right? I thought it would have the opposite effect?!

I got a similar email saying about laying down the law not knowing what i was talking about!

So i emailed back:

Firstly i was not 'laying down the law'. It saddens me how people react to people trying to help them. All rabbits deserve to be treated as loved pets. Rescues are overflowing with unwanted buns. And as for personality i can honestly say that rabbits do not 'ask' to breed not matter their 'personality' also 70% of does contract cancer if not neutered.

I would think carefully before placing an advert like this again as it has obviously provoked and upset animal lovers- maybe you should have worded it better.

I may have come on strong but it was late and i don't care.

I think his comments about enjoying being a mother and that's why he breeds are excuses...he breeds because he wants to! She doesn't ask for it. Then when she gets cancer he'll probably have her pts as she won't be good stock!

If he's BRC registered, is there anything about his Advert that can be reported to the BRC?

Is he allowed to just "advertise" for a bun to mate with his? Should that bun be registered?

Sorry - don't know much about the BRC or breeding

No BRC breeder worth their salt would EVER bred with any random buck.
He may be brc registered (which anyone can do, once they pay the registration fee!), but he certainly isn't an exhibitor, or known in the fancy circle.

He's basically registered himself with the brc, purely to help sell his mixed bred babies.

Being an ex-brc netherland dwarf exhibitor, these 'fake' people make me so angry :evil:

Back