• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do the RSPCA ask for adopting a rabbit?

Mariam

New Kit
Hiya,

Ive been asking my boyfriend to *let me* have a rabbit for ages (it's his house lol) and one of his friend's rabbit is due to have a litter in 2 weeks. He said I can have one or two for free, and my guy told me I can have a rabbit !! finally.
I would much rather adopt an adult rabbit at my local RSPCA though (I live in Coventry, West Mids) as they are always over-run by rabbits and are already having money problems and might need to shut down :(
Does anyone know how much they ask for when you adopt a new bunny?

- Mariam

For adopting Jasper it was a £30 donation... which it pretty good considering their rabbits are already vaccinated and neutered! I gave £60 to try and cover a bit more of the cost because the people were so nice :lol:
It might vary from center to center... they usually have websites, check up on there, that's where I found out about the cost :D

Have checked on the RSPCA websites I could find... requested donations can be anything from £10-£40, hope this helps :D

If you got two babies you'd then have to pay for VHD & Myxi vaccs for each, then neutering for atleast the boy or both. If you call your local vets they'll give you a price for doing all that and you can show the comparision to your boyfriend. Rescue rabbits usually work out much cheaper! The RSPCA do have rules on housing though so make sure you find out before you buy somewhere to put them. IF you call the RSPCA they'll be able to tell you how much they charge and what the process for adoption is and what sort of accomodation they look for :)

Tam

We paid £25 for Dandelion but he wasn't vacinated - only nuetured so we took him to our vet for his jabs. She also gave him a good MOT.

Animalfarm.png

Suzanne said:
We paid £25 for Dandelion but he wasn't vacinated - only nuetured so we took him to our vet for his jabs. She also gave him a good MOT.

Animalfarm.png

if you dont mind me asking what made you come to the decisision of £25??, i allways felt prior to starting up rescue that it is totally fair to give the rescue/organisation their costs returned and if nothing had been done i still used to give to show my sincereity and so they can help the next bun.

not to say you have at all but i am just commenting on my finds that some people think its a cheap please to get a pet and if they have already been through the experince with one rabbit to get the second cheaper! :roll:

When I got Alfred a couple of weeks ago, they asked for £15 for a rabbit, or more if you wanted to.

£15 musn't go anywhere near their costs, considering he was vaccinated, neutered and chipped. Plus the poor soul was infested with mites too when he arrived.

Jx

I think its a nice idea to give as much to a rescue as you can, BUT not everyone can afford to give a lot more, and if you are taking on the rabbit and giving it a very good home as well as giving a donation that is as much as you can afford, isn't that better than not taking the bun at all?
Of course rescues do a wonderful job and donations are greatly needed. But I know when I got my second bun, I got her because I wanted my first rabbit to have a companion. I decided to get her from a rescue because I genuinely adore animals, and wanted to help a bun without a home. I didn't see it as a cheap way to get another animal. However, I couldn't really afford to give much more than was asked... it might sound like I'm tight or mean but I'm not. However - I don't scrimp when it comes to my rabbits, and I honestly feel that Imogen (adopted bun) has a good home with me and Benjamin (first bun).

I think that's a valid point, I don't have any spare money, but my rabbit always has his pellets, hay and fresh veggies/fruit. He doesn't have any fancy toys, and I'm hoping my parents will help me with the cost of a nice new cage, but he is very happy! He loves playing in his "free" cardboard box, following me around the house and acting like a clown!

I didn't pay anything for him as he was from a friend, but if I were to ever get another bunny, I would give all the spare cash i could afford, and I'd be happy to help the charity in fundraising in other ways if I could (like donating old mobile phones and printer cartridges, or joining in charity events etc).

I'm time rich and cash poor! :lol: Unfortunately I couldn't be a volunteer because of my allergies (1 rabbit and 1 rat is OK with medication, when we had more rats my other half looked after them).

I also think that many people would donate more in future to the same rescue as they had the funds available.

Back