• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Up eared bunn with floppy ears- pics added

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I think it may be related to the heat, but one of the rex rabbits keeps getting floppy ears- it looks really odd as its just the top 1-2cm of the ear tips at a 90 degree angle!

This has happened a few times....(well assuming its the same bunn- they all look alike.)

Is it the heat do you think? Will try and get a pic

well thats what i thought but it comes and goes- on the day they arrived two of them were like it, then all there ears went up, and its just in the last couple of days its come again- but its not all the time either :?

Might try and get a photo now as I'm sure i haven't explained myself very well!

here some pics of him- he's on the left:

ears.jpg

ears2.jpg

Do you see how its just the tips? And his brothers have very 'uppy' ears.
I bet it will have gone again by the morning.

raven_guest said:
My Ang Gorgeous' ears are like that at the mo!

Any idea why? Is it the heat? I've never seen anything like it! And it just stands out all the more as all the others look normal.

I assume he was wilting lol. It must be the heat as I haven't noticed it before! He has hair on the tips of his ears so it's even more noticable, might have to water him lol.

Apparently its a 'defect' in the show circuit :roll:
I wonder how many show judges look in the mirror and like what they see.........

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Apparently its a 'defect' in the show circuit :roll:
I wonder how many show judges look in the mirror and like what they see.........

Janex

:evil: Yes I wondered that on the first day I saw them with their ears like that- although apparently their mum died, i wonder if the breeder could see they were not 'perfect' (they certainly are in my eyes, I adore them) and decided to get rid by dumping on a rescue.

Everything I love about buns is a defect for most rabbits! The bigger the ears and feet the better! Unless it's my conti's who's ears and feet are a little on the small side lol.
My Gorgeous is 'good enough' to show, but I'm not ever going to do it, it would mean him being in full coat and probably dying before the summer is out. I think if the breeder I got Gorgeous off saw how much freedom etc he gets, he'd cry! G came to me with immaculat white feet. They're a lovely greeny yellow now lol. And his fur is crimped where I sprayed him (Angora's should NEVER get wet) Plus he's on the grass all day (they should NEVER go on grass (what a load of rubbish))

My Evee is apparently show quality too, but I clipped her and her feet are stained too. I'm sure she'd rather have her freedom than a few stupid ribbons.

Gypsy has loppy ears today. Heat can do it as more blood is sent to the ears too help cool the body making them heavier.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Gypsy has loppy ears today. Heat can do it as more blood is sent to the ears too help cool the body making them heavier.

Tam

thank you, its strange how its just one of them like it :?
Perhaps he is just a bit more sensitive to heat than the others.

mtoyah said:
So cute!!!! Are they yours to keep or are you fostering!!! Beautiful bunies!!

i'm fostering them, probably until they're about 10-12 weeks old and then they'll go back to rescue.

Its tempting to keep two of them as I do love them, but I really can't face having permenant bunns. I'm constantly stressed about the fox.
I've had to put them out in the playhouse and run whilst i'm at work as I'm seriously worried they could become ill or die from the heat of being in the summer house- so have fitted hooks so the run cannot be moved and piled a door, 4 x chairs, bricks, weighted umbrella stand and garden ornaments over and around it. They'll go back in the summer house for the night.

Back