• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you know?

sharond

Warren Scout
can any one tell me if a vet is like a doctor, so if you are registered with one you can only be treated at that practice?

I live very close to our vet, litteraly a 2 minute walk. They are great with our dogs and cats and lovely people.
I registered George and took him for his VHD jab and enqired about neutering.
Karen from Ross Rabbits where I purcahsed George, had told me lots of questions to ask the vet to make sure they were bunny savy.
Well to be honest as far as bunnies go there were a few things I wasn't too happy with.
I emailed Karen, and asked her advice and she highly recommended the vet that she uses, which she has to travell to, and would also be a bit of a drive for us too. No problem with that, so I phoned and booked a neutering appointment. The vet she recommended phoned me back for a chat and was great and completely put my mind at rest.

However, my only worry is that I have seen on here how quickly rabbits can go down hill if they get ill. My husband works shifts, so I don't always get to have the car, so it would be impossible to get to the vet if there was an emergency.
Do you know if you have your rabbit registered with another vet, if it was a dire emergency and I could walk him to my vet across the road, would they be allowed to treat him?

Vets shouldn't turn away an animal if they are ill regardless of whether their registered there or not.

I'd register with the local vets and take your bunny for a check up, you don't need to go back unless you need too

I'm registered with about four different vets :roll:

Thanks Gem, :D that's put my mind at rest a bit. He has already been to my local vet for a check and his VHD jab, as I had intended for them to neuter him as well, as they are great with my dog, but I think not so used to dealing with rabbits.

So I'll take him to the other vet whenever I can, but it's nice to know he can stillbe treated at my local one if it was a case of life or death.

I'm registered with 2, there's one just down the road so I go there for nail clippings etc but I'm not sure if I trust them to treat my buns and the 2nd one is miles away but I trust them so I take them for any other problems :D

Back