• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frozen Water Bottle?

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
I've been worrying all day at work about my poor rabbits suffering in the heat... I hate being out all day and unable to give them fresh cool water etc, but I was just wondering... can I freeze one of their water bottles overnight and then put it on in the mornings so they have cool water to drink all day? Any one else do this????

Best thing to do is freeze a couple of bottles of water and put them in their cages for them to lie next to, works well to cool them down... the buns love it :D

Be careful you don't break the water bottle! I've had a few split in winter when they freeze the plastic isn't that strong. You could freeze a block and put it in a bowl to melt. Mine chase icecubes around. Just leave it out for 5 minutes before you give it to them so it starts to melt and won't stick to the skin.

Tam

I do give them big frozen bottles to lie against, but I've yet to see either rabbit actually going near them.... :lol:
Its just with me being out all day at work i don't get the chance to top up their water and keep it cool.
But the bowl of water with a chunk of ice in it is a good idea. Thanks!

Just had a brainwave! I've got some ice cube trays from Ikea, which make long sticks of ice - perfect for sliding into a water bottle instead of freezing it over night and risking cracking the bottle!!! D'oh!!!! Just put some out for them now, poor things.

kaskaskia said:
Just had a brainwave! I've got some ice cube trays from Ikea, which make long sticks of ice - perfect for sliding into a water bottle instead of freezing it over night and risking cracking the bottle!!! D'oh!!!! Just put some out for them now, poor things.

Wha a great idea!! :D :D I bought some of them aaaaaaaaaages ago and though they might be useful at some point, totally forgotten about them... ohh I'll do the same as you! :mrgreen:

I half fill Dobbins water bottle and put it in the freezer along with some small shallow plastic tubs. Then in the morining i put about another cm or two of water in them and give them to him, so they thay are not to cold! The shallow frozen dish he likes to stand in!! When it has defrosted a bit that is!

Sue
xx

I don't freeze my drinking bottles, as I would imiagine they water would be too cold, but I do put frozen pop bottles in their hutches. :D

i have also put 2 huge bottles of frozen water in their shed today for the 1st time - they did all just look at them and sort of looked at me as if to say "mom what on earth are they!"

Back