• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The heat- summer house

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I know this has been been asked many times before, but am getting very worried about my foster babies being out loose in the summer house- it is so hot its awful! And its due to get worse apparently.

So...the summer house is basically a brick building at the bottom of our garden with patio doors and 2 x windows- all have curtains drawn to try to reduce the 'green house effect', i put 2 x ice water bottles down each day and I have even nailed weld mesh up at one of the windows so I can leave it open when I'm out (OH was impressed with that :roll: )....but its still too hot!

Anything else I could do? They could go out in the playhouse during the day whilst i'm at work but i'd rather not do that because of the fox.

OH does not want them in the house.

edited to add: i have considered a fan but thought it wouldn't be much use as would effectively just be blowing hot air around.

Someone on here has covered their shed with the silver reflective material you put behind radiators which reflected the sun and also kept in warmer in the winter, there was a photo on here a long while ago of it, sorry I cannot find it at the moment.

oh thank you, that could be an option- problem is it must be about 12ft high and is 18ft x 10ft long :? so would need a lot and a ladder.

I put ceramic tiles in the freezer them pop about six in my bunnies shed.I also have a large fan which is quite good.It cost 40.00 from argos but seems to keep the shed cool :D

Filling empty drinks bottle with water, freezing them over night, then putting them along the walls of their enclosure in the morning works wonders.

The frozen tiles do too.
Anything cold for your buns to lay against will be appreciated!

The frozen water bottles have a similar effect to cooler bags when you're on a picnic!

:D

The air coolers are really good,i got mine from argos.It is too big for my bunny shed though :( I have put it in my spare room where the guineas are,keeps the room lovely and cool.

I have two fans in each of my two sheds and I think it does help alot even though the air is still warm the breeze helps and the flies can't get near with the air current!

I've just remembered I've got a few of those ice packs that you put in picnic bags in my freezer, I've got a large flat one that you put in the floor of the picnic bag, maybe if you've got some of those put them out. I'm gonna see if Jessica wants to lie on them.

Back