• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone in rented accomodation?

Aimee84

Warren Scout
Have any of you had a problem with rented accomodation and rabbits? I'm moving out of my student house and into a rented place but wondering if no pets means rabbits aswel! Has anyone had any problems with this or are most landlords/agencies been accomodating.
They would be kept outside in hutches and runs.
Does no pets mainly apply to cats and dogs?
My landlord at my student house is fine with them all (4 of them in total) but I don't know whether it is just as its a student house?

I assume no pets means no animals at all. You could just ask the landlord to check though, might be ok if they are in the garden. Is there nowhere you can go that allows animals?

As i'm now moving to Reading area and not sticking in Bath i'm not sure what the letting agencies are like there. When I checked in the Bath ones they all said rabbits were fine and that it just meant no cats and dogs but I was wondering about other peoples experiences - its so hard !!!!!!!

My landlord last year didn't know :oops: , but then he nearly killed me with a gas leak so I feel no guilt. He saw my housemate's guinea pigs and my hamsters and was fine, but I didn't know how he'd feel about a 4' dog crate so my room was always locked and he didn't have a key.

My contract this year was through an agency and as far as I know said no pets... but they all say no pets... I presume hutch rabbits are ok if they're outside, but house rabbits are just as destructive as dogs and cats, so... I'm reluctant to let my agency/landlord know as I can imagine their answer. They have to give 24 hours notice before they come in to show people around so hopefully I can find a rabbit-sitter by then :oops: . I'm bad, I know :oops: .

I think letting agents are partcularily strict about this compared to private rents, as they often just have blanket policies- i know when I rented with pet rats I wanted to be honest but it took several phone calls til i found somewhere that was ok with us having them!

I'd maybe try admitting to a couple (dont say your name) and if they turn you down then just keep it to yourself.

I think it really depends from agency to agency and landlord to landlord. I think when they say no pets they usually mean no cats and dogs - that's what our landlord was bothered about. However he thinks we only have 2 - we did when we moved in 6 weeks ago, however we now have 5 :D We're working on the principle that as long as he never comes round we're fine! :lol: He seems pretty happy to leave us to our own devices anyway :?

Most of the time the standard contracts say no pets. You can get permission by asking the landlord tho. My sisters boyfriend got permission for a puppy in exchange for adding 6months to the contract.

Tam

When we last moved we told all the estate agents that we had rats and a rabbit - one showed us a place we wanted to rent only to tell us no pets - WE SPECIFICALLY SIAD PLACES THAT ALLOW PETS PLEASE! Duh! :roll:

Most agents/landlords are very clear on whether pets are allowed or not so you should always ask first, it's not worth the risk of losing your pe5ts/home. are very

Our current agent landlord was happy to allow our pets but we had to sign a clause to say that there would be no fleas etc (I've never had a pet with fleas except cats)!

:D

Our last two places have been "no pets" but we asked the landlord and they've agreed. One asked for an extra 2 week's deposit just in case, but otherwise it's been no issue.

AMETHYST

Its usually the letting agent that says no pets as standard, at the end of the day its up to the landlord.

We rent, and got the bunnies after we moved in, I really wanted one so I just asked on the off chance, and they said as long as it was kept outside it was fine! They did say as long as its not a dog or cat they don't generally have a problem with other pets as they don't make much mess or annoy the neighbours.

Its never been a problem for us, or them!

My contract specifies no pets but my landlord can't come in to my property without my permission so we I have a little plan, if they do ever come and visit... Then bunnies go to their aunties for the day :D

Their cage folds down so it can be taken away until they have been and gone... sneaky I know but there was no way I was losing out again!

I'm in rented with an agency. The advert didn't say no pets although the contract does :roll: . When I moved in I thought I was going to have my budgie living there and they said that caged animals were ok.

My 4 rabbits are free range but can be caged if the landlord want to come round!! :lol:

My boyfriend and I had a discussion when we got Leon about what would happen if the agency said we couldn't have him there. We agreed that if they said we couldn't have Leon we'd just move. :D

Usually the 'no pets' policy relates to free ranging furry pets in the properly. This is usually because animal fur gets into the furnishings and if future tenants are allergic to animal fur then it will lose them money either by having to lose those potential tenants or steam cleaning all the furniture and carpets. My contract says if I have furry pets in the house then before I leave I have pay for a professional cleaning of the interior to rid of all animal fur and I can only do this with one approved company.

If the bunnies are outside in hutches then I think it is the discretion of the landlord. I wrote my landlord a letter asking for permission and he said no problem.

HTH

Shiv

Thanks to you all we kept checking for each place all were fine with rabbits kept out in the garden. The house we went for we had to keep telling them that they wouldnt destroy the garden by digging and we came to an agreement that they would have mesh underneath runs and that they wouldn't b allowed to free roam in the house. So it worked out ok I did want them to be in the house aswell but they weren't happy at the begining at all so I think all went well. :D Looking foward to moving now tho :D

We moved into our flat and the letting agent said no pets. After a few months we asked whether that meant all animals and spoke to our landlord who said basically as long as they are small animals and don't do any damage that he didn't mind. We're planning on painting over the bits of wall they've chewed before we move :lol:

Vicki x

Well done Aimee for checking with them! Am really glad that you were able to come to an agreement.

VickiWillow said:
We moved into our flat and the letting agent said no pets. After a few months we asked whether that meant all animals and spoke to our landlord who said basically as long as they are small animals and don't do any damage that he didn't mind. We're planning on painting over the bits of wall they've chewed before we move :lol:

Vicki x

We're in the process of taking Wallpaper down and painting the walls instead!! My landlord would have a hissy fit if she saw the wallpaper hanging in ribbons!!!! :lol:

Luckily we have painted walls already :lol: It's just the skirting boards that are looking a bit worse for wear :lol:

Vicki x

Back