• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please-babies 2 dead.

KatieB

Warren Scout
Twinkle had a litter of 4 buns 7 days ago.

We checked today and 2 were dead with big tummys.

The 2 remaining babies- 1 was found with the others listless and big tummy the other was found a bit away from the others, small tummy very alive.

Spoke to the vet who said they might need to pee - so i have done the whole cotton bud bit and they both have had a very long pee. have put them back in and mum knows where they are.

Is there anything else i can do?

Any advice is appreciated, can't believe how much this upsets me and it takes alot to make me cry.

There isn't much you can do hun, just check them every day and remove dead ones. You may need to help them go to the toilet daily if mum's not doing it. Make sure you rub your hands in mum's dirty corner before you touch anything.

Thanks. Hhave just looked and the baby that is listless- its tummy looks huge- what could it be, there must be somethig i can do.

baby bunnies

Hi katieb :) sorry to hear about your little ones BUT this sounds like bloat :( this sometimes happens with babies :shock: :( you could try gently massaging it's tummy & giving it a few drops of olive oil from a syringe :) this in effect helps to reduce the bloating which will otherwise kill it :( I do hope he/she will recover GOOD LUCK :roll: :lol:

Thanks

That's what the vet recommended when i rang him again! They both have green poo now?!

Have given them the oil on a cotton wool bud- anything else??

babies

Hi katieb :) how are the sick babies today :( hope they are better :) do you have any Dr.Squiggles potent Brew :?: if you do then give them a few drops 3 times a day if not carry on with the olive oil until their tummies are back to normal :)

sick babies

Oh WOW :D great news :) you have done a brilliant job with them :) well done :) keep us informed about their progress :roll: :wink:

Thankyou!! :D

Still alive!!

More green poo and very thick yellow wee?!

Bit wrinkly but think mum is still feeding them - one burped the other night!! Still bloated so going to keep going!

Still here!! Looking a bit better, still giving them the juice seems to help in this weather!

Thanks for asking- will post pics soon!

Have a lady bringing in 2 buns tonight, male and female, not neutered so female could be pregnant but has a silver ring on her leg with the date of birth on- am i right in thinking this is a breeder thing?

Hiya

Your doing a great job with those babies, well done.

I think the silver ring will be a breeders registration ring, they have a name but I've fogotten it.

update -babies 2 dead

hi kATIEb :) YES the silver ring is a breeder ring :) if you contact the BRC & give them the info from this ring they will be able to tell you who the breeder was :) you can then get in touch with them & let them know you have one of their bunnies (I have done this & was rewarded with a very interesting visit to the breeders house & given a guided tour of her rabbitry, she also told me all about breeding & the lots of different colours etc.) :) glad the babies are still here :) have they still got green poo :?:

Back