• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch-Run combo trap door - pics please

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hello all

Well the newly rennovated hutch is almost done. Only problem I have is the original hutch that came had a hole in the floor attached to the ladder but didn't have a trap door thing to close the hutch off from the run in the night. We're a bit confused as to how we're going to do this so any tips would be greatly appreciated. The hole will have to be in the floor as the way it is designed to attach to the run.

Any tips and pics would be fab. Thank you.

Shiv

How about a hinged flap that folds up into the hutch and is clipped to the side of the hutch when not in use.

Would that be actually inside the living space or underneath the hutch? :? This is why I getting confused.

Thanks

If your hutch has the ladder attatched to the bottom of the hutch (in the run area) and it will flip up. Put a block of wood the thickness of the wood which makes up the run on the bottom of the hutch where the ladder will reach when lifted up, then put another piece of wood on to this block which swivels round to hold the ladder up when you want to block the hole off.

Another option would be to have a piece of wood in the hutch to cover the hole in the floor which has a couple of swivel blocks to hold it in place when you want to keep the rabbit in the hutch.

ShivyRex said:
Would that be actually inside the living space or underneath the hutch? :? This is why I getting confused.

Thanks

The first hutch/run combo I had didn't have a way of covering the hole so my dad put a bit of thick ply, a bit bigger than the hole, on the inside of the hutch., fixed it to the side of the hutch with hinges and put a swivel block on the side to hold it up during the day.

However I'm sure you could do something similar on the outside at the bottom of the hutch too

When we used to have a double tier and I was cleaning out the bottom bit, we used to put a piece of wood on top of the whole. If the hutch is inside a run/enclosure im sure that would be fine :) Xxx

Back