• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

water sprays

johannapage

Warren Scout
is this too mean?
if a bunny is being naughty and you want them to stop, saying no and squirtng them lightly with a water spray, (similar to a plant mister thingy)

I want a humane way of teahing rosie not to chew things etc and i used this method on all the dogs I have trained and it works well, just wondered if a rabbit would react ok to this

please dont think im cruel!!!

this is what i used on my rosie when she kept trying to chew carpets or rip wallpaper i squirted near her to give her a warning and so she'd stop doing the unwanted behaviour

lisa

I used a water spray on my buns when I was bonding them and a fight started. I read it was ok to do from a rabbit book I think. So I assume it's ok :D

phew, might start doing that, she has a habit of chewing plants, im a bit worrieed they will do her harm, ive moved them out of her way, but as a precaution id like her to learn the word no and i know the dogs took well to it

Personally I'm not a big fan of squirting naughty bunnies, I think it's more likely to teach them that you are nasty and not to be trusted, rather than what they were doing was wrong.

Some rabbits learn 'no' but I have to say, they are very strong willed and more often than not will carry on regardless :lol: Mine know what 'no' means and stop for about 5 seconds before continuing what they were doing! Although they are clever and can be trained to a certain extent, they are not 'wired' to please or take their place below you in the pack in the same way that dogs are so disciplining your bunny is not necessarily going to be very successful.

Where rabbits are concerned, there's no substitute for making sure that their area is properly bunny-proofed.

i will take that into consideration, as I said i am a first time bunny mummy and wantd to do things properly and check before i do stuff.

i really hope she is happy with me, she gives me little licks and headbutts, and does the tooth purring thingy as well.

my house is bunny proofed it was just for the just in case i cant reach her quick enough!

i do love her to bits and i really hope she does trust me and love me back

I don't think it will do them any harm, I always did it to my buns and they still love me and don't seem to need a shrink. Maybe do it whilest saying no and just reduce it to NO!

When I was teaching my buns the word No, when they did anything naughty, I just jumped around clapping my hands and shouting No like a looney, It worked, I think I just distracted them to be honest :oops:. But They are always Very well behaved so .. :oops: :lol: :lol: Xx

I have tried spraying sophie - she loves it and thinks its great! :lol: :lol: :roll:

Like Alison said though, bunny proofing is easier but a spray won't do them any harm.

Back