• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations and fly strike

johannapage

Warren Scout
Rosie is now ten weeks old and going for her myxi and vhd jabs on wednesday, am I right in thinking they are done two weeks apart and is it ok to have them done at 11 weeks (she will be 11 weeks on the day)

Also I have noticed some flys (little *******) in my room where Rosie lives, I've looked at the fly strike stuff and it sayd she has to be 12 weeks, anything I can do as its supposed to be getting toastie warm in Bristol and I dont want her to get caught with them

You are correct in thinking the mxyi and vhd are done 2 weeks apart but im not sure what the minimum age is.
As for flystrike,in the week she can't have the rearguard check her bum area regulary,you can use a fly net over her hutch,flies hate citronella so maybe you could get some of that and put it near her hutch (where she cant get to it)

hi there your bunnies soo cute!

yes vaccinations should be done 2 weeks apart the myxi vaccine first as you are doing and 2 weeks later the vhd, make sure to ask the vet about the myxi injection and check they do it intradermally bit in skin rest in body, some vets do it in the ear and neck

i dont use rear guard or things like that on my house rabbits, i just make sure i tidy and keep there cage clean everyday empty litter tray twice a day in hot weather and check their bottoms daily to make sure they are always clean ass not to attract any flies
you could stick sticky fly traps in the room i have them on my windowa i use the bright yellow coloured ones they attract flies well
i also use keep it clean spray disnfectant you can spray it on their cages on your carpets room etc also on the bunny my rosie loves it she thinks its her perfume lol

lisa

mini lop1 said:
hi there your bunnies soo cute!

yes vaccinations should be done 2 weeks apart the myxi vaccine first as you are doing and 2 weeks later the vhd, make sure to ask the vet about the myxi injection and check they do it intradermally bit in skin rest in body, some vets do it in the ear and neck

lisa

JT had it in his ear and neck why is that bad

thanks, she is going to the vet that her breeder reccommended, should I ask for it to be done in the skin rather than the ear then??

it doesnt really matter as long as half is done intradermally and not all in neck my vet does half in fold of skin and rest in neck others prefer to do half in nack half in the ear but your vet will do it whichever way they feel is most comfortable for them

lisa

For preventing flystrike I use Dynamite, you can spray it on hutches and buns! :D I haven't seen a single fly around my hutches since I bought it :D Also sprayed it around my windows and haven't seen any in the house either! :lol: Good stuff!

Can get it from here -> http://www.doghealth.co.uk/dyna-mit.htm

Back