• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with new bun please ....................

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I've just spent the last 2 hours in tears and feeling really low. I got Pippa last weekend and intended her for an indoor bun, however, she loves being outside so much so it's almost impossible to get her in. We've just taken 2 hours to get her into the house. The run's not big enough for a long time in it and I don't have the skills to build a bigger one. Then as she so obviously doesn't like being inside, I'll need a hutch or shed but having bought an indoor cage, can't afford one. I can't help thinking that I shouldn't have got her as I'm not experienced enough and I can't handle her - she won't be picked up and goes to bite if you try altho you can stroke her. She would jump in her carrier until a trip to the vets and now won't. So moving her is almost impossible. We're on hols next Sat and a friend was going to look after her, but if she can't move her without getting bitten she will feed her etc but it means leaving her in her cage all week.

Should I try to rehome her to someone experienced with rabbits? (she's very cute looking so I'm sure someone out there would fall in love). Or should I persevere and make an outdoor home for her? I have an old playhouse that my hubbie thinks we could do up for her and in time get her a friend once she's spayed. I just keep looking at her and feeling guilty that I don't know what to do for best - I just want her to be a happy bunny. Plus there's our summer hols - she's had her myxi jab but is waiting for the VHD one - would boarding places take her? If so does anyone know of someone in Lancs? Please help :cry:

How old is she? It might be her hormones making her this way. After a while she'll get used to you just give it more time and after she's spayed she'll become calmer.

She's 2 and the vet said she was in season. The vet suggested getting her VHD jab done in 3 weeks and booking her in for a spay after that.

My bun Snowy was quite, well moody before she was spayed now she's lovely and ever so happy with her husbun. I'm sure Pippa will grow to love you.

As has been said..get her speyed and she will calm down a bit..not immediately but after a couple of weeks or so..don't give up on her yet it's early days

I guess it must be a bit like kids, you plan and plan and then they arrive and all the planning seems to go out the window :lol:

Rabbits take at least a couple of weeks to settle in. It will take her time to learn routines like coming indoors etc. A lot of bunnies don't like being picked up but it sounds like she likes you if she enjoys being stroked.

I think you're going to make an excellent bunny mummy you just need to take a deep breath and don't expect it all to work out instantly. The best bunnies are those that take a little bit of time and patience to come around :)

Rabbit's don't have seasons as such, females tend to be grumpy a lot of the time if they are the hormonal type. Neutering should help though.

A playhouse would certainly make a good conversion and a bun doesn't have to be inside or out. You might find she enjoys part of the day inside and part out. She maybe more nervous inside at first if she's been outside before. It's just a case of getting used to the different smells and noises.

She can have her second vaccination 2 weeks after the first. Most boarding places like them to have had their vaccs before going.

Tam

just a note, i found that if they like stroking and stuff, but you cant pick them up, if you put a bunny harness on her, no lead of anything likt that, its easier to get her without hurting her. you can stop her on the harness because it pulls evenly across the fron tof the body. from there just try to gently guide her into the carry cage, then she shouldnt panic as much after she's used to this. i agree, spaying would help her temprement aswell.

Don't panic hun, we all have days when we feel like everything is going wrong with our buns! I've just spent an hour trying to get my Gorgeous out from between my two runs that he got wedged between (he was perfectly happy, but it just looked so wrong!)
See how it goes, it may be a case that because everything is new to her, she is preferrring the outside, she may get bored of it. You could have her as an indoor bunny in the winter and an outdoor one in the summer? Everything is very exciting still so give her a bit of time to calm down.

As for the handling, go easy and slowly, give her treats, stroke her whilest she's eating them and gradually build up. But don't give up, you'll get there.

Thanks everyone, I feel much more positive this morning. I've been to B and Q and got everything to make her a nice big run and my son's fed her a carrot and stroked her and she seems fine today. Those pesky hormones....... :lol: This site is brill, it really helps knowing there's people with loads of experience to ask. I couldn't have done more research but when you have a real bunny personality in front of you it's a bit harder than you think xx

Back