• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Isn't it a shame?

sharond

Warren Scout
Isn't it a shame that most people just don't understand what wonderful animals rabbits are, and sadly most never will.

I am new to the rabbit world, and have to admit, I was guilty of thinking that althougth rabbits were beautiful to look at they didn't do a lot. How wrong I was.

I discovered the world of rabbits totaly by accident. I came across an article in a magazine about house rabbits. I was a amazed to read they could be litter trained and live indoors if you wanted them to.
I searched the internet and found various sites and gathered information and decided to buy my first rabbit.

I am totaly amazed by how funny, loving, clever, cheeky and altogether wonderful my beautiful George is, I am totlay in love with him :love:

He follows me around at my heel, he lies next to me on an evening for a cuddle, he lies stretched out on the floor with our dog ( They have a mutual love for each other) :lol:
He plays with toys,( I never knew rabbits did this.) He leaps and binkys in the garden and the lounge and is just a joy to have around.

I just wonder how many people have a rabbit in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and although not cruel to it, just don't understand what they are capable of. I have had friends who's children owned rabbits and they were moved from hutch to run, but never had toys or any time spent with them. Not because they were cruel uncaring people, but because they didn't know that you needed to do anything different.

When I tell people about George, people either think I'm totlay nuts, or ask if it is a special breed that can do all these things :? :lol:

I feel sad for the years I wasted not owning a rabbit, because of my ignorance about these beautiful animals, but I am so happy that I have finaly found out. :D

Sadly, thats why there are so many bunnies in rescues and without homes. People buy them as 'cute pets that they can look at', but then discover that they are much more work than expected!

Leah xx

I do think attitudes towards rabbits are changing, people are beginning to realise what fabulous creatures they are and not just a children's pet to shove in a small hutch.

My mum works with a lady who's had two buns for years, they live in a hucth adn that's it. Mym mum was telling her how mine are out most days and how fun and nosey they are.
The lady went home and let her buns out and was amased at the transformation. She's converted lol.
I just wish I could say the same about all the other people I know who keep them in hutches (usually too small)
I babysat for a lovely family and they said 'come see our rabbits' I nearly cried. Two huge rabbits in tiny hutches, no run, no garden, no toys. They looked like they were suicidal. I felt like ditching the kids and running off with the rabbits. I talked to them about how they could ahve more fun with them if they let them out in the house etc, but god knows what happened as I don't babysit anymore.

Many people seem to think rabbits are pets for children. My OH has a desktop of Jessica on his computer at work and many many people have seen this and commented "is that your kids rabbit?" We dont have any kids! Many people look at my poor OH like he is nuts :lol:

Everyone used to think that I got the buns for the kids too....... They now know better :lol: :lol:

How true this post is! I get fed up when people say that Rabbits are children's pets and I find that even my own parents seem to think I should have a more 'grown up' pet.

I love rabbits and always will, keeping a rabbit in the right conditions is hard work and I think that everyone on here campaigning for a change in people's attitudes should have a big hug and a pat on the back! lol

:lol:

Ps welcome to the site :D

Kay - that is exactly the reaction I have got from loads of people, that really I should have a grown up pet.

Also I have a friend who acts really funny if she sees any poo's on the floor - she pulled her bf back from seeing the rabbits and said - "don't tread in all the poo!!" - there were about 5 little pellets on the floor. I picked them up and she looked like she was going to be sick.

I said - oh they are completly dry, its ok, I always wash my hands. She still looked like I had dropped in from planet crazy!!

Back