• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy noises-help!!

Steph_W

Young Bun
One of my rabbits is poorly. His tummy is rumbling so loudly, he looks so down, and has wet himself all on his underneath. Taking him to vets in an hour. Does anyone know what could be wrong? :(

Sounds like it could be gut statis.(my unqualified opinion) Taking him to the vets is a good thing to do as they will give him something to relieve the pain and something to get his gut moving again. Let us know how it goes at the vets x

He has just eaten some dandelion leaves and yes he has pooped but its all wet and horrible, poor lil bun :cry:

It would be best to just offer hay at the moment and maybe syringe some pineapple juice to him if you can (to get his gut moving).This is just my opinion of what it might be but the vet will be able to do a proper examination as you are going to the vets soon they'll get him on the mend . good luck x

Awww poor bun :cry: Sounds gruesome, but it may be worth taking the sample of wet poop to the vet with you, it might help the vet in working out what is going on.

Hope your bunny is ok, please let us know how you get on at the vet. xx

Well vet gave him some antibiotics which i have to give him through syringe and said he is never to have any greens ever again, only hay and grass!!! seems a tad harsh but better follow his orders!! Thanks everyone!

Never to have greens? How rediculous! So what would he do to treat a wild rabbit?
At least you have something to help bun. Good luck with the syringing, buns can be very stubborn sometimes!

well apparantly a wild rabbit would never come accross a veggie according to him. He said he used to keep rabbits and he had one that lived to 12 and one to 9. His never had treats!! He's had greens for last 5 years and this is first prob. I think i will just keep it to in moderation!!

I've had people boast about how long their bunnies lived only to find they were manically depressed all of their lives in tiny hutches!
Just because wild rabbits wouldn't come across veg, they would still have plenty of vegetation! Silly vet!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for bun, just be sure to keep an eye as the silly things can go either way very quickly. And if there's any teeth grinding (my bun did this when he has serious tummy problems) you'll need to get bunny a painkiller. (Though I had to force my vet to give it to me! :roll: )

I guess the vet was just talking about a more natural diet (and I do agree with lots of hay and grass), although I still think there is a place for veg!

the noise is caused by too much green and a lack of fiber. So for now, w/i the next 2 weeks, no green is good. You can give your bunny 3 cc of metoclopramide every 8 hr.

But the real solution is to get your bunny to eat more timothy hay, if he can eat a reasonable amt. of hay per day, he can have a certain amt. of green each day when this is all over

Back