• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hating Rabbits

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
Other than in rescue cases, do you or anyone you know of have friends / family members that just do not like rabbits?

I just keep hearing the same slanderous stuff and it hurts me painfully. The joke about "casseroles" and others about pooing everywhere. Why are people so vindictive?

My brother doesn't like them, mainly I guess because him and his soon to be ex wife had Flopsy before I adopted him. They hadn't got a clue about rabbits and didn't put the time or effort into looking after him.

On other forums I mention my rabbits and again I get similar responses. I adore rabbits and cats .. I know everyone is different in this world, but to inflict an opinion is morally wrong in my opinion

I know just what you mean :evil: my brother is the same.. he thinks that rabbits are a waste of space and thinks I'm nuts cos I have 4 of them..

Most people have the misguided opinion that they're boring and that makes me cross. They're only boring if you treat them badly and they become manically depressed!

Sadly I think that's part of the problem, they are seen as easy pets that can be shoved in a hutch and fed once a day :cry: Nothing could be further from the truth and to look after rabbits properly takes a lot of time and effort. I suppose, just like with rats, people need educating!

I love rats, I think they're fascinating :D

I know- what is about brothers!

Mine says he is worried about introducing future girlfriends to me because of how many animals we have! Nice! If only i wasn't the short one!! :lol:

My brother and mum love the rabbits, but my dad isn't so nice :?
He is always talking about the 'mess' and 'smell'. And telling those 'rabbit soup' jokes :evil:
And anytime I do something that he doesn't like, he threatens the rabbits!! They didn't do anything wrong!!

Hmmm....one of my closer friends doesn't like them either! It really makes me mad. Its just an ickle bunny, what is it going to do to her? :roll:

Leah xx

We had rats as class pets when I was at school! That was so cool, but one of the kids took them home for the holidays and they escaped.

@Debs111 said:
At least rabbits are seen as common pets...try telling people you have rats :roll:

Oh :(

They're really intelligent creatures though, I saw a domestic one for sale the other day. It was incredibly inquisitive and wanted to hold my attention for as long as possible.

Gorgeous!

Yeah brothers .... my bf said Molly was cute fortunately. I think that would be the biggest pain / upset if he didn't like them ...

Yeah, because I keep rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and mice, everyone seems to think I should keep "less smelly" and "more grown-up" pets. :(

AMETHYST

@Debs111 said:
At least rabbits are seen as common pets...try telling people you have rats :roll:

I can relate - I have mice! :lol: People think I am a total freak!

Amethyst said:
Yeah, because I keep rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and mice, everyone seems to think I should keep "less smelly" and "more grown-up" pets. :(

AMETHYST

Why is it that people think rabbits and guinea pigs are childrens pets? Grrr.

rineyroo said:
Amethyst said:

AMETHYST

Why is it that people think rabbits and guinea pigs are childrens pets? Grrr.

I know, it annoys me too. :(

I know... people are like, "What do you want a rabbit for?"...

My best friend said when I told him I had a rabbit, "but rabbits are boring pets!" He soon changed his tune, he fawns over Fidget like she's a baby! :lol:

People are so misguided about rabbits. I always say it would probably have been easier to have a small dog or cat than 2 rabbits, no need for enormous cages, bales of hay everywhere... :lol: but people still think they just sit in a hutch :( .

It really makes me cross! It's ok for adults to have cats and dogs, but they look at you like you're mad for having rabbits. Idiots!

lol

We had rats before rabbits, and I agree - some people can be horrible - one of my work colleagues hated rats! But then I don't think we should try to force people to like the things we like or get mad at them, I just always do my best to educate myself and them educat4 everyone else about my pets. Also people then ask you how to get rid of wild rats in their house (not that I mind, I don't like wild rats either).

As for rabbits before we got Deej I must admit I never wanted a rabbit- I thought they were stupid and boring - obviously they are amazing little critters, but I just didn't know much about them having never owned one before (in fact none of my friends had rabbits either).

As for comments about casseroles and poop, um I think rabbit tastes lovely (I figure that if I object to eating any animals I should become a vegetarian, as it stands I choose to eat meat but applaud vegetarians) and my bunny does poop a lot! :lol:

I'm always getting dirty looks and comments if I mention I have 12 rats. Its not as if they're wild :roll:
They're fancy rats!

Charliesangel said:
My brother and mum love the rabbits, but my dad isn't so nice :?
He is always talking about the 'mess' and 'smell'. And telling those 'rabbit soup' jokes :evil:
And anytime I do something that he doesn't like, he threatens the rabbits!! They didn't do anything wrong!!

Hmmm....one of my closer friends doesn't like them either! It really makes me mad. Its just an ickle bunny, what is it going to do to her? :roll:

Leah xx

My Dad has 2 pet rabbits of his own. They're his company during the day cos he is retired and my Mum is out at work. :lol:

I make rabbit soup comments :oops:

When my Earnest was being neutered I sat in a cafe with my mum and brother having hysterics about how many rabbit legs you could get from the butcher for $200. :lol: :lol:

My partner's brother gave me a very scary rabbit tea set. I hadn't realise it was possible to insult someone with a present....

Back