• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mabel's eye... bad news

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Well Mabel's eye has gone really pussy and closed over. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and she was given eye drops. They have made no difference and she is really listless now. Took her back yesterday when I took Bugsy and saw the head honcho vet. He said that it is her teeth casuing the problem. Which I suspected. She is a dwarf lop and it is very common in them apparently. I have to give her the eye drops for the next 10 days and if it is not right after that then she has to have her tear duct flushed. He said that removing the top incisors will make no difference. She is really sorry for herself and not eating. The vet said that eventually she will be finished off by this problem. It may be in a few months or in a few years??? But teeth are as we know a major problem. Willow her half brother had teeth problems which led to his death. I am just in shock at the state of my bunnies. I know I am a good bunny mum and I am totally devoted to them. Apart from work I won't go out (which might be getting to OH) as I want to be with them. I just feel like I shouldn't have rabbits. I started June with all 4 happy, lost Sebby, Bugsy and Mabel are ill, it is only Billie who has touch wood seemed to be fine.

My heart goes out to you, it really does. :(
I don't know what to say other than I am sorry, can understand exactly how you feel, and am thinking of you.

Wendy
xx

Oh dear :(
You are NOT a poor Bunny Mummy. Sadly Bunnies, like all animals, get ill and it is not your 'fault'.
Has Mabel got any Metacam to have for pain relief? I am sure that her eye must be sore and if she is in pain she wont want to eat. I would advise you to ask your Vet for pain relief for Mabel (to be given DAILY) if she does not have any.
Has the Vet been able to view the molar teeth? As your Vet feels she has a tooth ROOT problem she may also have spurs which are scratching her cheek/tongue. I am not sure I would want to wait another 10 days if molar spurs are suspected.
Poor you, it really is such a worry when bunnies are poorly :(

Janex

Back