• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When can I move kits?

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I posted about my free ad buns having surprise kits....
Well, the hutch they are in is a bit on the small side for 2 buns (kits were born within hours of me arranging to pick buns up, & getting them home, so didn't get chance to sort out something sooner :roll: )

The kits are 7 days old now - there's 7 or 8ish, I'm still not sure - I've seen one crawling about (the Big One), on his own (so cute!!), but they others are still nest-bound.

When can I move them? i've sorted out a bigger hutch for them (but 2 tier so??)

Mum seems happier (if Mum is Mum :roll: ) about me being about now, she's less agitated, & eats from my hand.

I haven't cleaned the nest area out yet - just the main part of the hutch (both adults use a litter tray mainly, so I've changed that every day & just did main part of hutch last night)

Please note:

Adults are out of hutch a minimum of two hours a day - I know that's not long enough, but they were meant to be temporary - though I'm looking at 4 months ish now (to neuter kits), so wanting to sort out something more permanent.

is dad still with the mum and kits? :?

i would wait until all the young are venturing out of the nest (about 3 weeks) befor moving the kits.

3 weeks minimum. Until then the babies will need the security of their nest. If you can I would move some of the nest bedding when you move them if it is not too dirty so they have the comfort of the scent they are used to.

I've moved nests when they've been younger, but it will involve the whole of the dirty bedding being moved into a new hutch, with all the walls etc being rubbed with the dirty bedding. It depends how desperate you are to move them. If it's not desperate I'd wait until they're out of the nest.

maxxev said:
is dad still with the mum and kits? :?

The other adult is Mum's sister....only had them a few hours when I discovered kits, & don't know which bun gave birth......posted on here & decided to leave the two adults together (risky, I know, but didn't know who to leave with the kits.....) :?

I moved Holly and her babies when they were about 2 weeks old into a bigger hutch and they were fine. I just moved the entire nest along with some of the bedding etc that was near the nest .

hth

Back